Draft Issues- The Final Chapter (with pic)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
Here is a photo of the only bit of clay pipe we could find in the chimney. Gives some perspective of how thick the glaze in the chimney was. The rest of the chimney was completely glazed over.

Attachments

• chimney with liner showing.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 444
This reminds me of photo's from an endoscopy. Never sure what I'm looking at but pretty certain since I'm seeing it, it isn't good.

pen

I had it so thick there were areas that were over an inch thick. It was in the base of the chimney at the thimble. I mixed a strong solution containing sodium hydroxide and sprayed the area and let it sit. I then had to chip it out with whatever could reach it. At that time a chain flail would have been handy. Now that we have a EPA unit and an insulated stainless liner those days are over. I never realized how bad it was until I had to remove it to line. Good thing you are taking care of it. There's alot of fuel in that stuff, very dangerous if it would have lit. Even though the pic is blurry it brings me back to those painful memories.

A couple of the photos show the drippy, goopy nature of the glaze. You can see where it flowed down the walls of the liner. Also interesting is that during the scan, you could see the scratch marks from cleaning.

Here is a pic where you can see the cleaning marks.

Attachments

• creosote with marks.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 414
I don't think I could produce those results even if I stored my wood in the bottom of a pond...

[I find the photos oddly creepy. Like some sort of imagery that should have a caption that reads: this was the last image retrieved from Remkel's camera as he was dragged aboard the alien ship.]

BrowningBAR said:
I don't think I could produce those results even if I stored my wood in the bottom of a pond...

[I find the photos oddly creepy. Like some sort of imagery that should have a caption that reads: this was the last image retrieved from Remkel's camera as he was dragged aboard the alien ship.]

The key to surviving their examinations was to relax. :)

Remkel said:
BrowningBAR said:

The key to surviving their examinations was to relax. :)

Laughing out loud here thanks to Remkel and BrowningBar . . . thanks for the laugh guys . . . and the imagery.

PapaDave said:
Same here Jake, but some of that imagery is very disturbing.
That's a pretty nasty build up.

It was one surreal experience. Always was something that "happened to other people" until I saw it for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.