Draft Problem Still Not Solved

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rennman

Dec 9, 2010
SW CT
The 16 foot stainless steel flue liner with the 7 inch oval outlet on the Comforter stove. Updraft still insufficient. Stove has puffed back a couple of times and left soot all over the house. My wife is angry and does not want the stove lighted again. I have posted some pictures this time. Hope someone has an idea.

Attachments

• Comforter-Front.jpg
    Comforter-Front.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 231
  • Right Side.jpg
    Right Side.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 228
  • Left Side.jpg
    Left Side.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 231
  • Rt Side Med Shot.jpg
    Rt Side Med Shot.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 259
  • Front of House.jpg
    Front of House.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 245
  • Back of House.jpg
    Back of House.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 273
Not familiar with the stove. Is it there a baffle inside? With a shortish, cold outside flue, I am guessing that the stove is being shut down too much. If the wood is not good, that will compound the problem. Try burning the stove a bit hotter and always giving it some air (unless the stove gets above say 750F).

Is your house pretty tight? That old stove may need a lot of air and is creating a neg pressure. How does it run with a nearby window cracked?

Well, I ain't posting here to make anybody mad, but I gotta tell you, I read all your posts on here so far, and I think you'd be tickled with an EPA stove that's designed for a 6 inch chimney.

Your problem is the comforter stove.

You can go on and spend a thousand here, and a thousand there, but for the money, you just might as well go out and buy a new/used EPA stove and get it over with.

As far as I can tell you're now trying to run a larger diameter stove collar into a smaller diameter liner, and it 'no worky'

So, go get yourself a nice woodstove to match up with that new liner in that nice chimney and report back how that's workin' for ya!

Have a great day.

Yeah, some of your other threads worry me about the safety of that stove/setup/whatever.

I think the best direction is to purchase a new stove.

1. In a previous thread you said you cleaned out 4 pounds of creosote 'chips' - did you clean out the horizontal pipe section also?

2. In a previous thread you said there was a slight separation where the T connected to the liner - did you correct this problem?

3. Part of your problem could also be your stove is 7" and you have it connected to a 6" liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.