Draft rod heat dispenser thingy on the NC30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Mine disappeared sometime today. It was there this morning. You'd think it would be easy to find being brass colored and all. I must have knocked it off when I was replacing the screw that holds the secondary pipe in. I'll probably find it later. I guess I'll be storing a pair of pliers down by the stove until it shows up.

Matt

You mean the spring thing that screws onto the end of the draft rod to give you something to grab? I don't think it gets too hot down there anyway.

Yeah it's the brass spring thing. It probably doesn't get too hot, but I've never grabbed it without the brass either.

It gets hot enough that you would want some sort of leather glove on to grab it. Probably won't burn you if you have "chef" hands, but it gets pretty darn hot. My landlord took the bag that contained the spring for the door handle and the primary air after installing my stove. Guess he was mad I made him put an insulated liner in.

Use your left hand. It's just an itsy itsy rod way down under the firebricks. Won't be too hot for most. If it bothers you, lick your fingers first.

Reactions: BobUrban and pen
I thought the brass was ugly and never used either. Not hot enough to burn your fingers even when rolling full on burn - or your bare toe for that matter. Which is what I most often use to close it off after the secondaries get rolling.

This is what I made for my door handle.

stove mods 009.JPG

By the way - I may still have mine if you want/need it.

WOW - my stove looks new in that pic! Still even has the ash trap plug thingy in there.

I've been able to operate it so far tonight without the brass. I might strip off a piece of scrap 12ga wire and wind a new one if I need to. Thank you for the offer though. I did get a little surprise when I touched a hot ash lip!

The stove is in the basement. It doesn't have to be pretty, just functional. I like your iron work!

Status
Not open for further replies.