Draft too strong...ways to tell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
One of my current concerns is that my draft is too great. I say this because my wood seems to burn rapidly for the first third of the burn cycle and I'm only getting anywhere from 3-4 hr burn times with 5-6 decent sized splits. Here's what I'm doing. After establishing a small sized fire, I'll add a couple more splits and close the door and get the box to 300. At this point I'll close the air 1/4 to 1/2 inch depending on what fire looks like. I then wait for the box to reach 400-450 and then close to 1/8. Stove seems to cruise 410-460.

Occasionally, I'll get the box at 500-600 following the above procedure and probably with a little more wood but burn time remains the same. Truthfully, observing my setup, If I packed the box with only Ash, I bet you I near overfire. Thoughts?

Don't know
My book refers to Minimum .02", but no maximum.

Try a manual pipe damper and see if it helps. Should be easier to get stove top temps up.

Oh I see its an insert not sure how you damper it.

Another declaration owner on here decreased air intake from his doghouse by plugging 2 holes with screws. I wonder if that will work for me?

Stax said:
Another declaration owner on here decreased air intake from his doghouse by plugging 2 holes with screws. I wonder if that will work for me?
I did this to my stove, only I didnt plug just 2 but actually 4 (out of 5) of them, leaving just the middle hole open. It makes it alot easier for the secondary burn to kick in. Ill have to run it a bit more to see if there is any long term advantage, but my initial impressions are that it is increasing the burn times. I imagine every draft situation would cause differences, but this seems to work prety well for my setup.

Serious question.
Does the epa care if we put dampers on our epa certified stoves?
I have one on mine..but really don't use it.

To the op..have you tried burning both ways..n/s and e/w and did you notice a diff in burn times if you have?

Stax said:
One of my current concerns is that my draft is too great. I say this because my wood seems to burn rapidly for the first third of the burn cycle and I'm only getting anywhere from 3-4 hr burn times with 5-6 decent sized splits. Here's what I'm doing. After establishing a small sized fire, I'll add a couple more splits and close the door and get the box to 300. At this point I'll close the air 1/4 to 1/2 inch depending on what fire looks like. I then wait for the box to reach 400-450 and then close to 1/8. Stove seems to cruise 410-460.

Occasionally, I'll get the box at 500-600 following the above procedure and probably with a little more wood but burn time remains the same. Truthfully, observing my setup, If I packed the box with only Ash, I bet you I near overfire. Thoughts?

How tall is the liner?

I have burned both ways, but have noticed the following. I've learned that my first row must be loaded n/s to let airflow reach the back of the box. I have one he'll of a time trying to start a fire if my first row is loaded e/w. Air inlet is front, centered and at bottom. My second row is usually loaded east to west. It's hard to get a third row because the height of my box is short. It's more wide than anything. If I Reload all splits e/w the fire doesn't perform as well. My liner is 15 ft from unit to rain cap.

My feeling with the Declaration is that the secondary tubes simply flow way too much air. I've been comparing my stove with a friends, who has a Regence, we are both burning the same wood and he is easily getting 10-12 hour burn times. The difference I notice is that in the Regence the burn is alot 'lazier', and it gives the box a chance to really build heat, and the air coming out of the secondaries is alot slower and ignites really well. Difference is the Regence has an 8" flue and several bends, it just doesn't pull so hard, resulting in way more complete burning and better heat retention in the box.

I wonder is there any way to reduce the airflow in the secondary tubes ? I think the air throttle just affects the primary air. From other posts on here it seems that for many stoves the secondary tubes simply flow whatever the flue will pull.

I'm really determined to get some descent burn times.

Status
Not open for further replies.