Draft Trim -Afton Bay

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt85bears

Dec 15, 2008
midwest
I am in my second year of Burning and my 5 ton of Pellets. I seem to be constantly confused on how my draft trim should be set along with my air intake valve. I can never seem to get satisfied with how my flame seems to burn. My stove seems to keep my house at 70 degrees constantly but i want to make sure that i am now "over firing" my burn chamber. Maybe i am not patient enought.

the draft trim button is only to fine tune level 1 burning hit the button once and the voltage to the combustion fan decreases by 5 volts hit it a second time and it decreases another 5 volts hit it a third time and it goes back to default setting.You shouldn't really even need to touch it unless you have a tall vertical run on your exhaust.
mnkywrnch

I feel your pain. I wish all the manufacturers would post video of the "proper" flame for their stoves. I found with my Afton Bay, that the standard "dancing" pellets people talk about here was way too much air. It caused glassy brown glass quick. I also switched pellet brands this year and found I need an adjustment to my damper. I closed it all the way down to black tips and then opened it up until they were gone as per the manual. It does take time, you have to wait for the air fuel mix to stabilize after each small adjustment. (just the nature of the beast) I have adjusted the feed trim on low just to keep the glass cleaner a little longer. I have noticed that my manual says that a tea cup of unburned pellets in the ash pan a day is normal, but I have very little unburned pellets ever. I also have good heat output, and no clinkers.

My St. Croix Pepin is an older analog model without all the fancy controls but every St. Croix stove my dealer sells has a big sticker attached that sez...

100_0620.gif

matt85bears said:
I am in my second year of Burning and my 5 ton of Pellets. I seem to be constantly confused on how my draft trim should be set along with my air intake valve. I can never seem to get satisfied with how my flame seems to burn. My stove seems to keep my house at 70 degrees constantly but i want to make sure that i am now "over firing" my burn chamber. Maybe i am not patient enought.

Matt i just read the pm you sent me and what setting are you running the stove at?. I have never made a air adjustment it is still at factory specs. As long as your getting sharp pointed flame tips you are doing fine. If the flame appears to be getting lazy then it's time to clean the stove. I run mine on 3 in thermostat mode most of the time and then on 4 if it is below 10 outside and maybe even 5 if it's colder than that outside. I like to be warm and it keeps the place at 72 quite easily. I think you are over thinking and making unnecessary adjustments. Remember that on 4-5 the flame will be high and touching the exchanger at times as the pellets feed, this is normal and really cranks out the heat.

krooser said:
My St. Croix Pepin is an older analog model without all the fancy controls but every St. Croix stove my dealer sells has a big sticker attached that sez...

100_0620.gif
I saw this sticker in one of your other posts and did just that closed the damper on a pencil stoves been puring away ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.