Draft tuning makes all the difference...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

Nov 23, 2012
Guilford, Ct
After a month of frustration trying to control the stove temps on my new EPA stove, I finally installed a pipe damper in the ovalized stove pipe. Today was my fist test, and what a difference! It turned an uncontrollable bast furnace into a nice friendly stove. Life is good again. Custom fitting a damper into double walled oval pipe was a challenge, but she's a done. I found that 32+ feet of 8" pipe in a center chimney colonial created a draft what would suck the hair piece off your head! I had previously tried replacing all the gaskets, blocking off part of the secondaries but nothing worked, and the stove could not be controlled. Hopefully the temps outside will drop bellow 50 again so I can see what she can do.

Good to hear that you have that beasty under control.

We had a daft piano tuner once named Alfred Operknockety. He made the incredible claim that Operknockety only tunes once! LOL ;lol

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.