Draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Delaware
When my stove was installed I asked installer to use old chimney cap, it is one of those black caps you see all over. I have been doing some thinking about drafts and was curious if that round design and style of cap that came with liner would have been the better option to go with.

Many different types of chimney caps, are you talking about one of these?

Black_chimney_cap.jpg

That's what I have now. I was just curious if I should have put on the round one , it was silver and I wanted it to match the others caps I have. Is a cap more for draft or animals and rain ?

The stove shop switched my rectangular (as above) out for a round one and fixed it to the liner. Is your liner being connected to the chimney cap?

I switched from the round one fixed to my liner to something similar to the image above and have seen a dramatic increase in draft.

They installed it do I doubt it's attached to the cap. I'm going to have to climb up and take a look. I'm just curious about draft, is a high draft a good thing? Or would it be better to have the lowest " working" draft

I just used my old terracotta chimney cap like above as I couldn't see investing in a new chimney cap. Made my own top plate and it works. The draft is great with only 13.5' from floor to top of chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.