Draft ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would caution on running a baro on your furnace. Taxidermist runs a gasification boiler which burns very cleanly. If you don't burn your furnace hot enough, creosote will accumulate quickly, and many times it will be the glazed kind. If you want to do something to reduce draft on windy days, place a manual damper in the flue pipe. It's much cheaper, easy to install and will help keep up flue temps. Barometric dampers do a great job at leveling draft, but if it's not burning cleanly will allow accumulation. Keep an eye on the chimney, burning a hot fire daily will help keep things in control. Just don't let things build up.

Could you just explain in more detail on how I would use a manual damper, Open it when starting a fire? closing it part way when fire gets hot? or just using it on a windy day?

I got you mixed up with the op talking about draft. Normally you would open the damper for maximum draft and load. Once the fire starts burning well then you would close down the damper a percentage to reduce draft. If your running a forced draft fan on the firebox then a manual damper is a no no. I have a manometer on our flue and use that to adjust the manual damper. I never close it, but just slighty closed reduces draft so it's not too strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.