Drafty insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rhino789

Jan 30, 2020
Montreal
I have a Regency I2100B fireplace insert in a brick fireplace on an outside wall. Regulations prevent its use except in emergency situations, so it will hardly ever be used, hopefully never. Air leaks from around the faceplate & through the fan grill at the bottom are quite noticeable.

What's the best way to seal off or at least reduce these leaks. I don't want to greatly change the look of the fireplace as it is in our livingroom. Caulking around the faceplate would help but would be almost impossible to remove from the brickwork in the future.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20200130_174204.jpg
    20200130_174204.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 1_flir_20200124T124540.jpg
    1_flir_20200124T124540.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
I have a Regency I2100B fireplace insert in a brick fireplace on an outside wall. Regulations prevent its use except in emergency situations, so it will hardly ever be used, hopefully never. Air leaks from around the faceplate & through the fan grill at the bottom are quite noticeable.

What's the best way to seal off or at least reduce these leaks. I don't want to greatly change the look of the fireplace as it is in our livingroom. Caulking around the faceplate would help but would be almost impossible to remove from the brickwork in the future.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Install an insulated block off plate and insulate the firebox

Reactions: begreen
Thanks for the reply, but could you explain further. I have no idea what you mean.
Make a sheet metal plate blocking off the space around your stainless liner. Stuff the area above full of mineral wool or ceramic wool before putting the plate up. Then insulate behind the insert with mineral or ceramic wool.

Would this still be safe to use in an emergency situation? Would it be almost as effective without the metal plate?
Thanks
Do you have a full stainless liner running from the stove out the top of the chimney?