drain for furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donkarlos

Oct 5, 2008
MA
so I have forced hot water baseboard heating and need to drain it to switch out some leaks. where is the "drain" on my oil furnace ? is it the overflow pipe? also, I would like to use pex and sharkbites for some of the replacement pipe - any criteria to follow with that - thanks.

Normally there would be a drain near the bottom of the boiler with a valve on it.

Sometimes it is covered by a shroud that covers where the burner bolts on to the boiler. Reach underneath the front of the boiler with your hand pointed up, maybe you will feel it.
What kind of boiler is it?

an oil hot water furnace with direct hot water built in. the brand I'll have to check but I know it is common. I'll go check underneath then - under the circulating pump I presume.

Status
Not open for further replies.