Drain heating loop, leave HW?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarbonNeutral

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2009
Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
I need to repair and move some copper lines for one of the heating loops on our forced how water. Our oil burner has no external storage tank, and heats HW on demand (actually there is a small tank apparently in the boiler).

Can I drain the heating loops without affecting the HW system?

I doubt it, unless there are isolation valves. One solution, albeit not simple unless you are properly outfitted, is to freeze the line before cutting into it downstream to install an isolation valve.

CN,
I hate to see this question languish but I have no ideas for you. I don't really understand the issue well. Maybe others don't either?

Generally if the domestic hot water is fed from the boiler, there is no "tank" inside the boiler, generally its a seperate coil inserted into the heating side of the boiler. If you drain the heating loops it will not affect the domestic hot water system but obviously if the boiler is drained, it should not be run. If you want to keep the hot water running while the heating loops are down, install some isolation valves with drains on the supply and return of the loops and then you can work on them at your leisure. Its pretty much standard these days to install these isolation valves especially if you multiple zones.

Ok, that's what I thought - many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.