Draining the fuel rail...........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodMann

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2008
New Mexico
Okay. Me and my Dad have a couple cars; mine a 1996 Impala SS and Dad a 1996 collector edition corvette. We haven't driven these cars in awhile and the gasoline is aging. I've tried siphoning the gas out the old fashioned way via hose down the filler neck, but there's evidently a screen in there to prevent that. I then thought about diconnecting the fuel filter below and turning in the ignition and let the pump p!ss everything out. Then I had the big idea- the pressure/ release fiting on the fuel rail, connect a hose to that and dump into a pail, clean and easy. Here's the thing, what hose do I look for to do this, tell the guy at the auto store that I ned a new hose for my pressure tester? Or is there maybe an easier way to do all this.................
Thanks

Thanks, Lee- so far so good, but ya gotta keep the valve open on the fuel rail the whole time...............

WoodMann said:
Thanks, Lee- so far so good, but ya gotta keep the valve open on the fuel rail the whole time...............

Me thinx valve depressor in end of bicycle pump hose will keep valve open when screwed on. Maybe remove valve guts then attach any type hose with clamp

Valve on the uel rail is larger than a tire air valve...................

You can get a fuel pressure tester at an auto parts store and most have a bleeder valve on them
EDIT
I should add I wouldn't bleed the entire fuel tank out this way.
Maybe disconnect the flex hose between the tank and the filler neck and siphon it that way, I believe the screen is in the neck assembly not the tank.

Why not just let them idle it out. It shouldn't hurt the engine to turn over. Unless you measure hours on the engine anybody buying it will not know about it.

I'd have a real hard time letting fuel possibly spray all over my engine compartment at 55psi. It seems like it could be dangerous.

Matt

I think pulling the fuel filter and letting the pump do most of your work will be the best option. Its safe and should be faily simple to do. Then start the motor to pull any remaining gas out of the line.

Are you doing this because the gas is old and you want to drive the car or becuase the gas is old and you want to store them longer?

That's exatly right, mayhem, the gas is getting old and I'm not comfortable running it thru the engine. I thought about tossing a bottle of nail polish remover or acetone in the tank but have learned it's hard on hoses and such. I'd also like to take the car(s) out to circulate everything a bitso hence the desire for fresh gas...................

[quote author="WoodMann" date="1254160139"....hence the desire for fresh gas..[/quote]

If we are only talking about a couple of gallons of the old stuff still in the tank....top the tank off with premium and add a little stabil, and you should be good to go. Run what ya brung.

Jags said:
[quote author="WoodMann" date="1254160139"....hence the desire for fresh gas..

If we are only talking about a couple of gallons of the old stuff still in the tank....top the tank off with premium and add a little stabil, and you should be good to go. Run what ya brung.[/quote]
My thoughts, Stabil, can't beat that stuff. Plus if you just drain the gas tank Mr. Rust will soon take over. Pinholes in the tank kill gas mileage but is job security for fire depts. Be safe.
"Run what you brung" haven't heard that in years.
Ed

+1 for topping it off, using some Stabil and running it. Any crud thats built up will get stopped int eh fuel filter. It might be a good idea to replace that after a tank or so.

When you store it, fill it all the way up and use more Stabil...it'll keep everything wet that should be wet, but you won't get rust or other H2O wet nasties.

I did top it of with premium and Stabil 3 years ago, so we're taking about a full tank. And maybe I'm paraniod but I know that Dad din't add any stabil to his tank and it's been sitting a little longer. Aren't the tanks on most OBDII cars fiberglass, or some polycarbonate plastic- so I can't see rust being an issue, in the tank anyways. Well- I'm headed to town today so I'm gonna check out auto stores for said hose.

I assume that those cars also have a fuel return to the tank. If not, nevermind. If they do, that is where I have disconnected mine in the past. So while the car is idling for a short time, you would be pumping the tank dry. You would just need to add a jumper hose.

Outstanding CT- tell me more, how and where do I connect this jumper hose you speak of.............

the valve I think you are talking about is a schrader valve and if you want to get the fuel out of it you can use a pen cap or nail or whatever and turn the car to run position for a few seconds the fuel pump will run and shoot the fuel out of the shcrader valve. I would suggest a rag over it as it will shoot pretty high and the rag will stop the gyser. But as long as you have stabil in it you should be fine. if it is not run alot just gou and fire it up and let it idle for 10 -15 minutes everymonth or so and you should be good. better yet give me the vetter and I will drive the wheels off of it like it should be! BTW runnign a fuel pump dry is a sure fire way to ruin it and ruin it fast. My recomendation is not a way to drain your tank but to get the stabil into your fuel rail.

THat's the idea with the hose, to avert the geiser. wasn't gonna run totally dry, down to like 1/8th tank or so, then drop in some fresh gas and got for a drive and tank up at the station........

See if they start, it already has same gas all the way up to the engine. If it starts and runs, drive it and then filler back up or drive it near empty if storing and keep stabilizing it.
I have had cars sit that long that started right up.
No sens making a project if not needed. If not go, then drain anyways you find best. ANd then plan on possibly cleaning the injectors, etc.

Y3eah Hog- they start and idle, guess I kinda freaked when I had the impala idling the other day and it started to shake a bit and I thought it was the old gas makin' it's way up. I have thought about that, taking the Lady out for en extended drive and burn out all the old stuff, yeah- I don't wanna make a bigger thing outta this than it has to be...........

WoodMann said:
Y3eah Hog- they start and idle, guess I kinda freaked when I had the impala idling the other day and it started to shake a bit and I thought it was the old gas makin' it's way up. I have thought about that, taking the Lady out for en extended drive and burn out all the old stuff, yeah- I don't wanna make a bigger thing outta this than it has to be...........
Pull the scrader valve out of fuel rail attach hose with clamp to fuel rail to key on jump fuel pump relay let it fly.

If you find the fuel feed line, it should not be hard to find the fuel return line. You can usually just disconnect the line and attach it to a jumper line and into a bucket. I said let it idle but that was the last time I cleaned my injectors where you just cycle the fuel back to the tank and run the cleaner directly to the injectors. You could probably just do it with the key in the run position if the fuel pump stays on.

Status
Not open for further replies.