Dremel 1453 Chain Saw Sharpening Attachment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use one and like it. I've heard people worry about screwing up the cutter's temper, but haven't seen a problem.

Lately I find myself using a hand file for touch ups, and the Dremel for serious sharpening, taking down the depth, getting out nicks etc. Good tool- use the right size stone.

eba1225, you just found out what happens when you take the temper out of the steel. I have a benchtop grinder that I do not use because of just that. Now I am back to the stihl grinder or file.

Yeah, i'd be worried about getting the tooth too hot and changing it's material properties. If you turn it purple you've done did it and it prolly won't hold and edge for you. Also, shortened chain life. I hand file all my chains and I can get three to four years out of a chain (unless I get greedy and really shank a rock or something :shut: ). I also know if I take it in and get it sharpened they remove a LOT of material which means less chain life.

I have one and like it. You just need to be careful, it dont take much at all to put the edge back on a chain. A few seconds max anything after that you will heat up the chain. It works well for me.

use a varible speed dremel on the low rpm range wooks good

Been through this discussion on several threads over the last coupler years.
Have one, use it, love it. Of course the hand filers are going to bash it.
Fact of the matter is, 2 or 3 quick passes on the proper angle with the Dremmel, will NOT create any heat near enough that of taking the temper out of the blade edge. End of story!
If one is taking temper out of things with a grinder, bench grinder, angle grinder, or belt sander, that person needs to have a yard sale & stop using power tools. Cause your using them improperly if you can't sharpen with them.
Nuff said.

Its fine if your afraid of change, or to admit something is easier or possibly better than by hand. But to dispel others away from an easier , less time consuming tool & procedure, especially when most folks don't have tons of free time, is purely one sided, and I'll informed.
Don't use a splitter either. And grab your horse & wagon to go scrounge the wood.
Its cool if you hand file, its ok if you don't know how to use a Dremmel ;)
Again, if your taking the temper out using a Dremmel, go get a hand file & throw the Dremmel away.
Matter of fact, toss the chainsaw and git yourself a hand saw. Thats the way the manly men do it.

Yeah!! What Hog said! :coolmad:

Might just have to get me one of those new fangled doohickeys...

Chris

Hogwildz said:
Fact of the matter is, 2 or 3 quick passes on the proper angle with the Dremmel, will NOT create any heat near enough that of taking the temper out of the blade edge. End of story!
If one is taking temper out of things with a grinder, bench grinder, angle grinder, or belt sander, that person needs to have a yard sale & stop using power tools. Cause your using them improperly if you can't sharpen with them.
Nuff said.

Its fine if your afraid of change, or to admit something is easier or possibly better than by hand. But to dispel others away from an easier , less time consuming tool & procedure, especially when most folks don't have tons of free time, is purely one sided, and I'll informed.
Don't use a splitter either. And grab your horse & wagon to go scrounge the wood.
Again, if your taking the temper out using a Dremmel, go get a hand file & throw the Dremmel away.
Matter of fact, toss the chainsaw and git yourself a hand saw. Thats the way the manly men do it.

I use both a hand file and Dremmel. Hand file for normal touch ups and the Dremmel for when I hit a nail or put it in the dirt. System works well for me.

Hogwildz said:
Nuff said.

Agreed .

They work well if you know or take the time to learn how to use the tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.