1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Dremel sharpener rocks!

Post in 'The Gear' started by richg, Nov 10, 2012.

1. richg

richg Minister of Fire

Gang,

I have tried to sharpen with a hand file, a Granberg and failed miserably with both. I had a dremel kit lying around and used it yesterday. Holy forking shirt, my little 50cc Jonsered went through 28-inch trees like poop through a goose. I guess it's all a matter of expertise...some guys can get a chain razor-sharp with a hand file, but not me ;em
    quads and Backwoods Savage like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    I just bought one and was going to try it this weekend, any tips or is it self explanatory?
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Just imagine you have a file in your hands. Pay attention to angles, hold the stone horizontal and don't hold the stove on each tooth too long else it will get hot. I like to do just like when sharpening by hand; sharpen often, even every tank full of gas is good. With the dremel, it takes such a short time that I say, why not?
  4. richg

richg Minister of Fire

So far, I've used the Dremel once and the stone is already deformed. There are diamond stones on Feebay and I bought a set, less than $10.00 shipped. The angle guide worked perfectly. I agree with Dennis...be careful about holding the Dremel too long on anyone tooth, or else it will overheat and turn blue.
  5. weatherguy

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Ill have to order some of those, do you have a link?
  6. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
  7. weatherguy

Loc:
    Central Mass
  8. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Buddy sharpens his saw with his Dremel Tool . . . loves it . . . but says he uses up the sharpening stones pretty quickly.
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    They aren't expensive.
  10. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    I've used one for years. For 'touch up' work, you only need a light touch and a few seconds on each tooth. If you bang into a rock or piece of steel, it still straightens out those teeth with a lot less effort than a file.

As far as advice, I would say - make sure the stone rotates 'with' the shape of the tooth - don't let the rotation go against the cutting edge of the tooth as it shears off stone material pretty quick. I also use a gentle 'in/out' motion (ha ha) to spread the wear over the entire stone. I've used one stone for many seasons of touch ups.