Dremel sharpener rocks!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Gang,

I have tried to sharpen with a hand file, a Granberg and failed miserably with both. I had a dremel kit lying around and used it yesterday. Holy forking shirt, my little 50cc Jonsered went through 28-inch trees like poop through a goose. I guess it's all a matter of expertise...some guys can get a chain razor-sharp with a hand file, but not me ;em

I just bought one and was going to try it this weekend, any tips or is it self explanatory?

Just imagine you have a file in your hands. Pay attention to angles, hold the stone horizontal and don't hold the stove on each tooth too long else it will get hot. I like to do just like when sharpening by hand; sharpen often, even every tank full of gas is good. With the dremel, it takes such a short time that I say, why not?

I just bought one and was going to try it this weekend, any tips or is it self explanatory?

So far, I've used the Dremel once and the stone is already deformed. There are diamond stones on Feebay and I bought a set, less than $10.00 shipped. The angle guide worked perfectly. I agree with Dennis...be careful about holding the Dremel too long on anyone tooth, or else it will overheat and turn blue.

So far, I've used the Dremel once and the stone is already deformed. There are diamond stones on Feebay and I bought a set, less than $10.00 shipped. The angle guide worked perfectly. I agree with Dennis...be careful about holding the Dremel too long on anyone tooth, or else it will overheat and turn blue.
Ill have to order some of those, do you have a link?

Buddy sharpens his saw with his Dremel Tool . . . loves it . . . but says he uses up the sharpening stones pretty quickly.

I've used one for years. For 'touch up' work, you only need a light touch and a few seconds on each tooth. If you bang into a rock or piece of steel, it still straightens out those teeth with a lot less effort than a file.

As far as advice, I would say - make sure the stone rotates 'with' the shape of the tooth - don't let the rotation go against the cutting edge of the tooth as it shears off stone material pretty quick. I also use a gentle 'in/out' motion (ha ha) to spread the wear over the entire stone. I've used one stone for many seasons of touch ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.