Driest locust I've ever seen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Its obviously been a very slow past month for my contracting business.
Below is a pic of the driest Black Locust I have ever seen. This came from a scrounge of BL. I think this tree was long dead and had ants in it.

Attachments

• Dry locust splits.jpg
    Dry locust splits.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 784
Seems I find ants in all of them. Thats some great firewood you got there.

I got some 25 year seasoned locust not to long ago...still solid wood..was used as post on a pole barn

Very good stuff there. I have about 4 or 5 cords of the same, mixed through my wood pile.

Yep me too. It's all over the hillside behind my house. Dead on the ground locust with the bark gone.. MC anywhere from 15% to 22%. Just cut it up and throw it in the stove. It's been wonderful. Enjoy your score!

I ran through a cord of similar locust pretty quickly last winter. Same story. Standing dead for a very long time and the bark falling off it as I bucked it up. Well under 20% on my meter, so I just tossed it into the stove. Surprising thing to me is that it just didn't throw out the kind of heat I expected from such dry wood. Shorter burn times than I expected as well. I've always been a big fan of locust, but these logs left me a bit disappointed and confused.

I've found that some of the looooooong dead BL around here, long since having shed its bark and sapwood, still benefits greatly from extended air-drying and spending time near the stove. Burns much better then, essentially like anthracite.

barn burner said:
Dead on the ground locust with the bark gone.. MC anywhere from 15% to 22%. Just cut it up and throw it in the stove.
I cut some yesterday, some on the ground and some standing dead. The majority of it was about 16%. If it looks more brown than yellow-green, it's usually pretty dry.
I'm going to get all I can now. I don't know how much longer I'll have access to this grove.

Woody Stover said:
barn burner said:
Dead on the ground locust with the bark gone.. MC anywhere from 15% to 22%. Just cut it up and throw it in the stove.
I cut some yesterday, some on the ground and some standing dead. The majority of it was about 16%. If it looks more brown than yellow-green, it's usually pretty dry.
I'm going to get all I can now. I don't know how much longer I'll have access to this grove.
I agree on the color after long dead. It no longer has the greenish yellow coloring. It is brownish tan when it dries out.

That stuff is the ultimate firewood IMHO. I still like the softer hardwoods too, but for long hot burns and good hot coal beds, black locust and honey locust takes the cake, followed by elm and white oak.

Scotty Overkill said:
That stuff is the ultimate firewood IMHO. I still like the softer hardwoods too, but for long hot burns and good hot coal beds, black locust and honey locust takes the cake, followed by elm and white oak.
Elm? Where's the winking smilie? ;-P
I have been burning a bunch of Red Elm this "Winter" though...

Woody Stover said:
Scotty Overkill said:
oops..... ;-P

That's some good looking wood there. You could split it and toss it right in. Here's the driest BL I have ever scrounged.
0327111849.jpg

This was all pulled out of the woods behind an apartment complex about 1/2 mile from me. I got about 2 cords of standing dead or dead fall BL from here. I cut and split it in April and May '11 and have been burning it with since October '11. All this BL has given mt Red Oak one more year to season. Great stuff, but I have a hard time getting it going when it is warmer outside and I have less draft. Re-splitting very small has helped.

Sorry to hear that business is slow. At least you can be productive with the wood scrounging during the down time.

The drier the better I have found with BL. I have/had about a cord that is all the way down to 9-13%. It burns noticeably better than even 16-18%. My best stuff has the radial cracks pretty much all the way through the splits. The splits look like they are about ready to fall apart however when I have resplit some of them it is almost scary. It is like splitting steel. They almost explode on the splitter and I have had some fly as far as 10-12 feet off the end of the splitter when they pop. Also bigger stuff is a struggle to burn even if really dry. I had some 8x10x18" square blocks and they would burn for 12-16 hours very slowly. I burned one of the 8x10's the other day loaded with 6, 4-6" splits of sugar maple. Cranked it up to 600ish and after 6 hours the maple was just coals but that darn BL block was still 2/3's of its size. Gave it some more air and the house was a little warm so I let it coast down for 6 more hours and the BL was still about 4x5x16 and the stove was 250. Threw 4, 5-6" Cherry splits in, ran it back up to 600 and after 4 hours it was finally all down to coal chunks. So it lasted from 8am to midnight. Generally I like to keep my BL to 5-6" splits max and no rounds over 4". 5-7" I split in half, 8-12" get quartered, over 12" I try to get 4-5" blocks. Oh yea, the other down fall is those who have cut it dead know it is murder on chains.

Scotty Overkill said:
Woody Stover said:
Scotty Overkill said:
oops..... ;-P
Just occurred to me...maybe you're talking about Rock Elm. :gulp: That would be some awesome stuff to burn but the natural range isn't here or where you are...

It's kind of hard to see but the bottom rounds are "greener" than the ones on top.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/Hearth/001-17.jpg

Bone dry, with a little Dogwood and Persimmon on the bottom.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/Hearth/002-13.jpg

I think I saw rock elm once on a scrounge. I didn't now what it was. It was about an 8" round and I couldn't split it. There was quite a bit, but I left it not knowing what it was. Thinking back I probably should have taken it, but I don't have hydraulics.

gzecc said:
I think I saw rock elm once on a scrounge. I didn't now what it was. It was about an 8" round and I couldn't split it.
No doubt there's a good reason they call it "rock"; Book said that they used to export it to England to build wooden battleships. :gulp:

smokinjay said:
Seems I find ants in all of them. Thats some great firewood you got there.

I've noticed that in my area as well, I wonder what it is about locust that makes it a preferred ant home? I'd say at least 95% of locust trees I've cut and split on my property had major sections full of ants.

Status
Not open for further replies.