Drill press revisited.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldspark

Thought I would ask a few questions about drill presses.
Is the only way to get a really good one is to buy an older american one as all the new one seem to be made in china.
If there is a good new china one what would it be, am looking at one of the floor model deltas.
A couple of older Clausings on ebay so is that the best way to go?

Just depends on what you need a drill press to do. Sure there lost of china press's that will get the small jobs done.

There is still good machinery being built everyday. If you are referencing the thread from a while back - I believe the take away from that was: For a quality drill press you can get more bang for your buck on the used market.

If your looking to punch holes in plywood - most any machine will punch a bunch of holes. If you are looking to run a slow speed reamer to finish a .500 inch hole to .505 for a clearance hole - its a different game.

For $150 you could by a brand new press that would punch the plywood holes. For $150 in the used market you probably could find a press that would do the later example.

oldspark said:
Some people like this one and some thinks it's iffy and some think its a POS (what else is new right) not sure what to do as I want a good one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000IZ7BBI

Laser crosshairs??? C'mon, OS, you don't need no stinking laser crosshairs to drill a stinking hole. A center punch mark will be orders of magnitude more accurate than any laser spotting device. Gets the drill tip started exactly where you want it. Besides, those sighting accessories are notorious for getting out of whack, at least on cheaper stuff like that.

Jags knows his stuff. For $400 you can get an unbelievably nice used industrial-quality drill press that you won't be able to beat up no matter how hard you try. Patience is the key.

I agree BK, only place for me to get one is ebay (middle of no where) and not sure how much the freight would be and cant be sure of the condition, asked one guy about a Clausing and he has not answered back yet, the laser crosshairs on the Delta is one of the things that most people think are bells and whistles. Oh well I wll keep searching, no big hurry but my little piece of crap bench model is not good for much of any thing except small stuff. The amazon one I can get 100 dollars off with a gift car so that was one of the reasons I was considering it.

Ebay thing will not work, 321 bucks to ship, new delta ships free, oh well does any one know of a good NEW one to buy?

Clausing, Magna, Rockwell, etc.

BUT, and a big BUT, these are pricey units in the new market. That IS the point that I am trying to make. Tons of stuff is out there that would be out of site if bought new, yet very affordable when purchased used.

Take a look here as an example: http://69.43.61.114/FMPro?-db=wi.fp...2&Machine;_Type===Drill&-SortField=Sort&-Find

If your in a hurry and just need a hole puncher - a Craftsman from Sears will do the job. You WILL NOT buy quality in the NEW market without spending some pretty heavy coin, but they make them every day.

EDIT: I will say though, for the average garage drill press, that delta doesn't look too bad. I agree with BK - laser pointers??? Kind of silly, but the rest of the machine appears to be a reasonable consumer grade press.

What is the nearest city to you? Have you checked Craigslist there? How far are you willing to drive for a quality tool? I see folks here driving all over the place to get a free pickup truck full of wood, how about 100 miles or so to get a tool that will last for the rest of your life? I'd drive 200 miles for the right drill press... maybe more.

There are machine shops closing all the time, in every city in the nation. Therefore, there are options opening up all the time, you just have to sit tight and wait.

Been watching craigslist for a while now in 3 different cities, I will keep looking as in no hurry, I can get the delta for 3oo and free shipping so might be a compromise I can live with, I will drive a ways to get a good one though, maybe even pick up stuff I dont really need. :)

Jags said:
EDIT: I will say though, for the average garage drill press, that delta doesn't look too bad. I agree with BK - laser pointers??? Kind of silly, but the rest of the machine appears to be a reasonable consumer grade press.

Agreed. I remember a few yrs back when first seen laser pointers on miter saws.Bunch of crap if you ask me.Good fine sharp pencil line,80 or 100 tooth alternate top bevel thin kerf carbide trim blade & you can split a frog's hair.Like anything else,good accurate equipment & yrs of experience makes all the difference.No need for gimmicks like laser pointers IMO,just something else to go wrong later.

+1 on that Thistle. Mark your line, drop the blade down to the line before starting to make sure you are on it. I can't stand looking at the red laser line. They make your eyes go wonky.

As per the other thread, I spent a shade under $200 for a beautiful 1937 Craftsman that runs like a top and is all steel.
Were I to have $400 to spend, I would: 1. Download the Craigslist app for my smartphone and 2. put in exactly what I wanted, and 3. wait until I found it. For 4 bills, there's some sweet American presses out there.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.