Dripping Noise in Stove Pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gouache23

Nov 10, 2014
Michigan
Hi all - You might recall my posts from a few months ago about a stove for a 375s.f. cabin. About a month about we had a Morso 1440 installed. It's beautiful!

My concern though is a dripping noise I hear in the stove pipe when it rains. I also can feel the stove pipe vibrate when a drop hits. Either this noise/vibration is coming from a) a droplet hitting the pipe outside the house, which is vibrating to the inside (ok), or rain leaking into the pipe and hitting down below (bad).

Any thoughts? Is noise like this normal or a sign of a leak?

Similar thing happened to me. Turned out some rain drops were leaking into the chase in a driving rain, hitting some metal when they fell. I have a chimney guy, so he fixed it.

I had a similar issue with mine only I was getting water on the stove top. I tooled in some high temp silicon in the seams and solved the problem. Anyway do have water on your stove ? What kind of pipe do you have?

I haven't seen any water on or in the stove. It's a double-walled pipe. I've heard the dripping on two occasions so I'm kinda worried. We just had it installed.

My pipe is dbl wall also. Call your installer maybe they'll come out and take a look .

Status
Not open for further replies.