Drippy Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PipNH

Oct 31, 2016
Campton, New Hampshire
My hunting camp has an old Forester wood stove in it and over the last couple of years we've noticed the tee cap has been dripping. Its actually rusting to the point of needing to be replaced. We've never had this issue before and I'm wondering if anyone has an idea on why it's happening. The wood is dry and we try to burn a nice hot fire when we're out there.

The chimney on the cook stove doesn't drip and we burn the same wood in both.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like condensation to me. This will be more prevalent when having start & stop fires from cold starts vs 24/7 burning. Is there a cap on top?

There's a cap on top. Condensation makes sense. I wonder if we're also not burning it hot enough so we're getting liquid creosote. The stove is oversized for the cabin (came from my parent's place when they upgraded) and if we really let it rip we'd be out in the snow. I guess that's better than a chimney fire...

Put a flue thermometer on the stovepipe and try to keep the flue temp high enough to avoid creosote buildup.