Drips in stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

Just started my second pre burn. We had it installed yesterday. When it pretty much just got started I noticed 4 or 5 drops on the rear right side of the fire box. House temps in the high 50's when starting the stove. Could this be condensation?? We received very minimal rain this afternoon, and would like to rule that out if others here have had a condensation issue when first starting their stoves. Thx

2011-12-15173938.gif

I wouldn't be surprised that with small fires and high humidity you'd get a little bit of condensation forming initially.

Looks like condensation to me.
Should go away (up the stack as moisture vapors) when the stove heats up in no time.
Corrosive , so you don't want that happening all the time.

Oh,i better add before dennis jumps in....i am using pieces of skids for initial burn. No unseasoned wood.

Backwoods said:
Oh,i better add before dennis jumps in....i am using pieces of skids for initial burn. No unseasoned wood.
And another pallet burner was born! =D

Condensation from my experience. With an average relative humidity of higher than 80% in these parts, it happens every cold start for me.

I agree with you guys. There is no conceivable way rain would get in there. Just another newbie worrying. Thx guys.

Well,,, it did it again here at lunch, and I'm sure it is the oak causing it. The duct comes outta the rear of the stove to outside the house. We used a dryer vent on the outside of the house, but removed the thingy that blows open because this aint no dryer. anyway, because there is cool air coming into the stove, when I light it, I think I will have this problem more often than not, and need to fix it. Any ideas??? thx

New fires always smoke, that smoke has lots of cold water vapor and it will condense on a cold stove wall. Especially if that wall has lots of mass.

You will see that all the time. The water is coming from the wood, not the OAK.

Status
Not open for further replies.