Driving Rain coming down the chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Up here in Mass we had a really hard/wind driven rain Tuesday night. I got up Wed am, and there was a small puddle of water on top of the insert...not much, maybe perhaps 1/4 1/3 cup or so...didn't think it was a big deal based on that rain was coming down at a 45 degree angle that night...but just wanted to see if others ever get a little rain in on the insert? (I have a chimney cap)
Also, the water was very clean.....no creasole at all...no smell, so I think it probably leaked from outside of the liner? thoughts? Anything to worry about, or just normal?

I've got a steady leak coming down the vertical seam in part of my Class A. It's pooling up in the ceiling support box and then dripping on to the stove top when enough water collects. I'm thinking my problem lies with the storm collar. See my "Moisture..." thread for giggles.

Needless to say, it is very frustrating. And it just won't quit raining, it seems.

This past fall, we had a hard, driving rain. Got a puddle on my stove and it came in on my on-demand water heater, too. Haven't had it happen again. Seems water either bounced off the roof or got driven directly into the small slots under the storm collar on the flashing. Keep an eye on it. Might be a once-in-a-decade sort of thing. If you notice it again with a "normal" rain, might have some caulking to do...

Thanks...had the insert installed in June 2008and it rained all summer...never a drop on the insert. The wind was so bad that night it woke the 5 of us up...good night sleep :)
If it leaks again in a normal rain, time to do some caulking I guess. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.