Drolet 1800i owners in the South

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

check212

Jul 3, 2014
Greenville, SC
Hi,
I recently purchased a Drolet 1800 insert. I live in Greenville, SC and was looking for other owners of this inserts opinion/suggestions, especially in the South. I have a 1800 sq/ft brick single story ranch build in the 1960's that is fairly insulated with single pane glass that I will cover with plastic before winter. In my research I've seen nothing but good reviews, and there is a guy on Youtube that is heating 2400 sq/ft only using the insert. He said he uses a face cord every week and a half. So, I figured all things being equal I would need 4.5 cords. I have 3-4 cords seasoned wood. He also lived in MN, so hopefully I will require much less.

I also welcome advice of anyone with this insert, reguardless of where they live

or

Advice of anyone in the south as to wood usage, reguardless of their stove.

Someone can surely help you out. Maybe post later when more people are here. I have the freestanding version 1800 and am satisfied so far. Drolet seem to be a good company.

There is probably a mathematical correlation between the different zones that probably has already been calculated by the stove manufacturers. This would estimate your usage on the number of days below 32 degrees, or 50 degrees, whatever. As a WAG, I'd say you'll use about a cord and a half. I use a cord heating a 2400 sq foot shop during the day, letting the fire go out at night and fire it back up in the morning, it's never been below 55 in the morning, but I have a lot of heavy iron in the shop and it's very well insulated. That was with a 70's smoke dragon, I now have a NC30, so I figure, based on all the wonderful things I heard, I should be able to throw in one split and have two in there by morning.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I too live in Greenville. Last year was my first year burning using a Jotul C450. I didn't keep very good track of the amount of wood I used but it was between 1 and 1.5 cords. I burned almost every evening when temps were in the low 40s and below and all day on weekends. Most of my wood wasn't all the way dry and some was pithy. I have better seasoned wood this year and will track usage better. I would say you have at least a 2 year supply of wood. Maybe we can exchange notes after next season.

I'm in Huntsville, AL. Similar latitude and weather as Greenville. Burning 24/7 in 2100sf ranch, I went thru 2.5 cords of 1/2 softwood / 1/2 hardwood. But last winter was abnormally cold. More normal would be 1.5 - 2 cords.
Hope Greenville is doing well - I grew up not far away.

I too live in Greenville. Last year was my first year burning using a Jotul C450. I didn't keep very good track of the amount of wood I used but it was between 1 and 1.5 cords. I burned almost every evening when temps were in the low 40s and below and all day on weekends. Most of my wood wasn't all the way dry and some was pithy. I have better seasoned wood this year and will track usage better. I would say you have at least a 2 year supply of wood. Maybe we can exchange notes after next season.

Thanks. Yes I would like to compare notes at the end of the season.

I'm in Huntsvilleititude and weather as Greenville. Burning 24/7 in 2100sf ranch, I went thru 2.5 cords of 1/2 softwood / 1/2 hardwood. But last winter was abnormally cold. More normal would be 1.5 - 2 cords.

Thanks. I plan to burn 24/7 too as I only have heating oil and its too expensive. Sounds like theres no way I can pack the stove full 3 times a day to get the 8-9 hour burn times I read about with this stove or it will be too hot. I may pack it full before going to work.

I heat 2000 sq/ft with my Drolet 1800 insert here in New England. Excellent stove and SBI (Stove Builders International out of Quebec) have been top notch in their customer support.The manual is also written very well and is quite informative.

I believe their number's as far as heat output is based on some standardized test using pine or something. Mine cranks out heat and burns very clean with seasoned wood.

I can get 8 hours of heat out of it when using well seasoned hardwood or compressed wood fuel.

10252144_10151976921350670_5734236966616140795_n.jpg

Thanks. I plan to burn 24/7 too as I only have heating oil and its too expensive. Sounds like theres no way I can pack the stove full 3 times a day to get the 8-9 hour burn times I read about with this stove or it will be too hot. I may pack it full before going to work.

Definitely be careful packing on packing it full. I have the freestanding version. Mine will get out of control if conditions are right. It's fairly tame most of the time though, Just don't pack it full when the stove temps are high. I think most modern stoves have this characteristic because the primary is always open a little and the secondary is non-adjustable.

hourst 2000 sq/ft with my Drolet 1800 insert here in New England. Excellent stove and SBI (Stove Builders International out of Quebec) have been top notch in their customer support.The manual is also written very well and is quite informative.

I believe their number's as far as heat output is based on some standardized test using pine or something. Mine cranks out heat and burns very clean with seasoned wood.

I can get 8 hours of heat out of it when using well seasoned hardwood or compressed wood fuel.

10252144_10151976921350670_5734236966616140795_n.jpg

Do you have to pack the firebox full to get 8 hours?

I am in Greenville also. I just had a buck 91 installed as an insert. I have been wondering how much wood I will go through this winter burning nights and weekends. Hearing you used 1-1.5 cords makes me feel better. I am new to EPA stoves and I think I keep estimating my wood consumption to the way our open fireplace and and old wood stove I used as a kid burned.

I am new to EPA stoves and I think I keep estimating my wood consumption to the way our open fireplace and and old wood stove I used as a kid burned.

Yes, you will be delightfully surprised at decreased wood consumption. With an open fireplace, you're like the fireman in a steam locomotive: Constantly shoveling.

I'm in Huntsville, AL. Similar latitude and weather as Greenville. Burning 24/7 in 2100sf ranch, I went thru 2.5 cords of 1/2 softwood / 1/2 hardwood. But last winter was abnormally cold. More normal would be 1.5 - 2 cords.

Where did you grow up? I'm from Anderson originally.

Gaffney - where the peach water tower looks like buttcheeks. I know people in Pickens and Easley.

Gaffney - where the peach water tower looks like buttcheeks. I know people in Pickens and Easley.

Cool. Easley is right across the interstate. I live in Piedmont technically. Yeah, I've seen the Gaffney peach. Do you watch House of cards on Netflix, where Kevin Spacey is a congressman from Gaffney?

Status
Not open for further replies.