Drolet Austral

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KindredSpiritzz

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2013
appleton, wi
Went to Menards and picked my baby up today. First thing that struck me was how small it was, guess i had envisioned a bigger stove but smaller is a good thing in my case. Wasnt to impressed with how well they packaged it for shipping but i inspected it before accepting it and everything seemed good. I noticed in the store the Austral price on display was $880ish so i felt really good about getting it on sale for $682. I also saw a Vogelzang defender on sale for $309 i'll probably go back later and get for my vacation property. Anyways, heres a few pictures from proud daddy. Im sure i'll be bugging the heck out of you all for advice on the install this summer. Not sure what to make of that baffle inside, sure hope its a good design. Stove sure is heavy.
PICT4239.JPG PICT4242.JPG PICT4243.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you pull the firebrick when you moved it in the second pic? Some people dont like the welded in baffle, but the stove is a solid unit. Very basic in design how the primary and secondary air comes in. You'll love it once you get it installed.

yeah, it kinda fell off the truck unloading it. Now i gotta figure out how all the brick goes back in. Whats the deal with all the holes in the baffle between the secondary tubes? I thought just the tubes had holes in them.

There should be a parts breakdown in the manual that helps get the fire bricks figured out. It can.be puzzling.

Whats the deal with all the holes in the baffle between the secondary tubes? I thought just the tubes had holes in them.
I think those are extrusions/bends in the baffle, rather than separate tubes. The PE baffle has holes running in different directions too. Air comes out of all the holes in the baffle. They put holes where needed to give the best burn.

http://pacificenergy.net/technologies/wood/baffle/

. . .First thing that struck me was how small. . .i had envisioned a bigger stove, but smaller is a good thing in my case. . .
;lolThat's a b¡ig firebox, by modern standards.
How 'bout a pic with a 12-pack of your favorite beverage in the firebox, for scale?
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/how-big-is-your-stove-really.51736/

Last edited:
Fyrebug posted this a while back.

1-png.55132

Another image I found of one.
img_1544-large-jpg.49242

untitled-png.60316

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it installed last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.