drolet burn times?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dakota03

Mar 4, 2008
central PA
I am looking to buy my first wood stove and want to start with a less expensive one. I considered the englanders but my house is 1600 sq. ft. and not sure either model would fit my needs. Anyway I came across the drolet myriad at northern tool. It's rated up to 1800 sq. ft. and has a 3.1 qu. ft. fire box. My only problem is I have found quite a few posts and rewiews complaining about short burn times with the drolets. I want to use the stove as my primary heat source and need the overnight burn times. Shouldn't a stove with that big of a firebox get good burn times? I'd love to hear from anyone with an opinion or any eperience with drolet stoves.

As with most stove burn times vary by models.

I have the Drolet Adirondack which has only a 1.5 cu ft box which of course is not going to give me as long as a burn time as the Myriad with a 3.1 cu ft box. One thing if you look at the Northern Tool site it is not for sale in Washington or California, most likely do to its EPA emissions. Check the on-line documentation for this stove at http://www.drolet.ca/products.aspx?CategoId=1
which will show you a better picture.

I can say that my Adirondack does get a clean burn going especially when I get it above 550 stove top, though its EPA numbers are not the best and I have seen better.

I used a Drolet Adorondack for a couple of years and my big-est issue with it was burn times. It often would not have enough coals left to restart a fire in the mornings. I think the consensus here is that across makes and models the larger the fire box the the longer the burn times. Secondary burn worked well on my Drolet. Ash removal and loading was a little messy.
Spring and fall burning is difficult, with the temperature bouncing around it is hard to have the stove putting out just the right amount of heat. Look for a stove thats large enough to burn overnight, easy to load, and easy and clean to remove ashes from and you won't be disappointed. A grate and an ash removal pan and door keep dust to a minimum.

Most of these people like it:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200307391_200307391

The Myriad should have a longer burn time than the Adirondack because it is a lot biggger, and you can fill it a lot more full because you can load it North-South.

The Baltic is the same as the Myriad, just with more heat shielding (and closer installation clearances).
http://www.drolet.ca/product.aspx?CategoId=1&Id=348

Niether one will give you the long burn times of a Summit though, but they are a LOT less $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.