Drolet ECO-35 Smoke Build Up and Spillage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickolai

Nov 16, 2007
Western Ontario
Hi, I just finished installing my new freestanding ECO-35 pellet stove last night. When I tried it out for the first time about an hour or two after I'd finished everything, it ran fine, in fact great.
Today I cleaned it out by cleaning the burn pot, and vacuuming out all the ashes inside.

Before I started it again, I started the auger motor first to let some pellets into the burn pot(although I'm almost certain I didn't need to do this) and I started it on the second highest of settings (5).

It very quickly nearly filled the burn pot and when it began to light, the stove almost immediately filled with smoke. It filled up with so much smoke and so fast that it was leaking out of the door and the air inlet. I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong.

I'm assuming that I should have started it on a lower setting to start the fire off a little slower but I'm not sure. Like I said earlier, I had it going the night before for several hours and there was no smoke, the flame burned very consistently and it put out enormous amounts of heat.

I have it installed in my basement, it goes directly from a 3" to a 4" tee, then rises about 3 feet and turns 90 degrees where it is mated to my 4" Chimney Flex stainless steel chimney liner installed into my existing factory built insulated chimney. There is a horizontal span of about 2 feet where it goes through the wall thimble and into the chimney and then up again.

Anyone have any ideas what my problem may have been? I've looked around the site for some time and can't really seem to find an answer pertaining to my problem.

Thanks,

Nick

If the stove has an auto ignition system you should not need to put any pellets in the pot before starting it. It should automatically feed the correct amount of fuel for start up. I think you had too much fuel in the pot on start up and it made more smoke because of this.

I would second that answer.I've had this happen before and can be a little frightening if you don't know what to expect. I've had this happen in an extreme case where the stove almost seemed to explode with fire inside when it finally caught-not nice and some smoke spillage.But it all my fault and not the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.