Drolet Eco-45 Combex Motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

merr

Oct 30, 2011
Western Maine
I have a drolet eco-45. I need to replace the combex blower (I think). I called around and ended up talking to a guy who sells and fixes these things. He said based on the fact that when the fan turns on it makes a high pitched squealing sound, it sounds like I need a new combex fan. The part seems to be very expensive- 410$ online, cant order direct from drolet company in CA...so, does anyone have a combex blower they would like to sell? Or think maybe my fan isnt broken? That would be great. The stove does need to be cleaned, so that could be part of problem. Also, inside the fire box the roof falls down- I believe it is the baffle? I have tried to put back up, but falls down again.
So...Any advice would be good, on the fan, the baffle, or how to really take this thing apart and put back together...the manual, which I have read several times, doesnt explain how to take apart the stove thoroughly.
Thanks-
Meredith

Hi...There is a quick fix for the noise. There are two plastic fins inside the motor. You can see them from the outside. The one on the exhaust side has probably slid over and rubbing on the exhaust box. Take a tiny flat screwdriver and slide it between the plastic blade and the box. Twist the screwdriver a bit to slide it away and then apply a drop of crazy glue or loctite to the shaft where the fin meets it. Should be as good as new.

Reactions: drewvy
Are you sure it isn't the other blower,the one that feeds the air thru the stainless tubes that heats the house? Mine takes a spell often and I've had it out to clean which helps. You can disconnect it while in operation to be sure....if you are that handy. Otherwise, ya gotta pay.

Hi...There is a quick fix for the noise. There are two plastic fins inside the motor. You can see them from the outside. The one on the exhaust side has probably slid over and rubbing on the exhaust box. Take a tiny flat screwdriver and slide it between the plastic blade and the box. Twist the screwdriver a bit to slide it away and then apply a drop of crazy glue or loctite to the shaft where the fin meets it. Should be as good as new.

WOW! You NAILED it...I KNOW THIS POST IS OLD, but it is EXACTLY the problem with my stove. I searched "drolet eco-45 squealing fan" and this came up number 1 on google! ON THE MONEY. I am still having a hard time getting the glue IN there to keep the fan to the left (I mean, it just randomly gets SUCKED over to the right with a LOT of force and squeals, shutting down the whole stove with a pressure error). It is a narrow space, difficult to get glue in there and even though I've tried, it is NOT getting into the shaft enough to keep the fan in place, but at least I know where that noise is coming from and can keep trying to fix it :) The stove runs great otherwise...but no one in my area seems to work on Drolet stoves. WTF!

Status
Not open for further replies.