Drolet ECO 65.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the pictures guys. I've read on here where a 4" is vent should probably remain a 4" vent, just curious how much effect it would have if I reduced to a 3". I ask this because I'm cheap and already have the 3" kit.

http://www.costco.ca/Drolet-ECO-65-Pellet-Stove.product.100002986.html

Found this at Costco. It comes with the plenum kit and free shipping. Is this a pretty good deal? Only other thing I would need to find is the 4" vent kit at a decent price. Anybody ever deal with Costco? If so, whats your opinion?

Price looks good to me. Cheapest I have seen so far. And the others don't include the plenum kit.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/7213751694826384882?q=Drolet ECO-65&rlz=1C1ARAB_enUS474US519&oq=Drolet ECO-65&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ei=8P8kUvS1HPTHsATJ-YDwDA&ved=0CKYBEL4k

Last edited:
Reactions: herdfan2003
I don;t think they will ship that stove to the USA from Costco, as it is not on the USA website. That is a good price, but you might have to call them to see if its available.

Reactions: herdfan2003
Here is a pic of mine. The 5 inch duct goes directly upstairs to my family room. It heats my whole house. Thats a good deal from costco. I actually got mine from on sale at Northern Tool for $1,999. But that was in 2011. The same stove is now $ 2,599.99.
20130228_195047_zpse404f289.jpg

Here is a pic of mine. The 5 inch duct goes directly upstairs to my family room. It heats my whole house. Thats a good deal from costco. I actually got mine from on sale at Northern Tool for $1,999. But that was in 2011. The same stove is now $ 2,599.99.
20130228_195047_zpse404f289.jpg
What is your overall opinion of the stove, anything that new owners should be concerned about? How much air comes out of that 1 vent? I find it hard to believe 1 vent heats the whole house????

Last edited:
What is your overall opinion of the stove, anything that new owners should be concerned about? How much air comes out of that 1 vent? I find it hard to believe 1 vent heats the whole house????

If you look closely at the front of the stove the convection outlet is only partially blocked so heat still comes out that area. The rest goes up the ducting to upstairs area.

Seeing the stove was designed to have 2 ducts and the open grille area. I personally would have used the second duct outlet. You could either finish it to the upstairs or add a grill so the heat stays downstairs. Or carefully open the restriction provided for the grille(basically make the opening larger-roughly the same amount or area as the blocked duct).

IMHO the more air you let the stove pass thru it, The quicker you turn the air over inside the home. The faster you heat it.

Reactions: DexterDay
My house main level and upper level are fairly open. I have an open foyer that allows a lot of the warm air from the stove to travel up. If you find it hard to believe I suppose you will just have to take my word for it. Or swing by one day this winter and have a beer and you can feel the heat. Also keep in mind I am in southern MD. Temps rarely go below 20. I am very happy wiht the stove. Was thinking about what to do with the extra outlet but using just the one and the vent in the basement itself is working great. So I am hesitant to try to fix something that isnt broke.

Was thinking about what to do with the extra outlet but using just the one and the vent in the basement itself is working great. So I am hesitant to try to fix something that isnt broke.

I don't think its a big enough deal to cause concerns, But you are restricking flow through the stove. I'd only worry if you run it balls out in a colder region. Air flow through the stove is what keeps it cool. If you hit the overtemp high limit switch, I'd be concerned.

My house main level and upper level are fairly open. I have an open foyer that allows a lot of the warm air from the stove to travel up. If you find it hard to believe I suppose you will just have to take my word for it. Or swing by one day this winter and have a beer and you can feel the heat. Also keep in mind I am in southern MD. Temps rarely go below 20. I am very happy wiht the stove. Was thinking about what to do with the extra outlet but using just the one and the vent in the basement itself is working great. So I am hesitant to try to fix something that isnt broke.

Alright I believe you, but I do agree maybe 2 vents would be better to bring more heat upstairs, whats the temp difference between downstairs and upstairs now? Has tthe door gaskets started to sag or leak? Are you cleaning the firebox and baffle weekly? How much heat is being radiated from the sides, just curious, as the spec is 6" from combustibles on the sides?

I find it hard to believe 1 vent heats the whole house????

One thing I will add is the heat being pushed up by the vent aids convection by a lot. I was amazed when I added duct to my stove. Heat goes up and with the convection fan casing negative pressure(Sucks) the cool air back down stairs to the stove. Made a huge difference in how I heat my house with a pellet stove,

Is there any way to filter the air coming out or into the stove like your furnace filter? I know my furnace filter looks like hell every season, just wonder how clean is the air out of the stove?

Can I add you should have both vent connected.. It's a UL safety issue. If one vent was to be blocked by something at least the other would be able to handle it. Redundancy...

Is there any way to filter the air coming out or into the stove like your furnace filter? I know my furnace filter looks like hell every season, just wonder how clean is the air out of the stove?

The true pellet furnaces should have an inlet filter. Or you can add on to the return air duct just like a forced air furnace. The eco 65 is really just a large pellet stove you can add duct too. The Harman PF100, St Croix Revolution, SCF-050 and the Fahrenheit Endurance all have filters.

Last edited:
Fahrenheit pellet furnace has a Filter (as do many others as Jay mentioned) the Drolet is a fine unit. The bottom feed system is Top Notch. I have an Enerzone that is also built by SBI (Drolet, Enerzone, Osburn) and it does work flawlessly.

The ducting of the Eco 65 is nice (Enerzone Euromax) and is a feature found on only a couple freestanding units.

Fahrenheit pellet furnace has a Filter (as do many others as Jay mentioned) the Drolet is a fine unit. The bottom feed system is Top Notch. I have an Enerzone that is also built by SBI (Drolet, Enerzone, Osburn) and it does work flawlessly.

The ducting of the Eco 65 is nice (Enerzone Euromax) and is a feature found on only a couple freestanding units.
Maybe FyreBug can investigate an optional add on filter. Doesn't have to be included, I think a few would spend the extra for one.

I know I'd love to have one on mine. And this would tilt the scale toward the eco 65.

Last edited:
I think a filter on the outlet might be a bad a idea, too much heat, it would have to be on the inlet. The blower is located in the center and near the bottom, and you would have to run piping to the inlets then out to the back to an external box of some sort?

I think a filter on the outlet might be a bad a idea, too much heat, it would have to be on the inlet. The blower is located in the center and near the bottom, and you would have to run piping to the inlets then out to the back to an external box of some sort?

Yes, Putting a filter on the outlet creates concerns(to much heat for the element and restricting air flow). The filter should be on the inlet where temps are lower. The filter also has to be large enough to allow full air flow as filters do restrict flow.

I'd be sketchy on adding one myself. I would let the pro's size the filter and do the proper testing. Anything we add to these beast after the fact may void the UL listing. If you are going to try it yourself, Look at one of the 3 units I posted and see which has the closest fan CFM. That unit would probably have the filter size you need.

When we started building pellet stoves a few years ago we were putting filters on fans. The problem was many users were not cleaning them up or replacing them. We were getting tons of calls for air flow and overheating problems. This proved to be a particularly big problem for those who had pets or in a dusty environment. So like most MFG we decided to do without on 'pellet stoves'.

However on our PSG Alterna pellet furnace it comes with standard cold aire return and filter box.

Reactions: hyfire and jtakeman
I have no need for a filter. as stated this is a pellet stove not a furnace. The air
Can I add you should have both vent connected.. It's a UL safety issue. If one vent was to be blocked by something at least the other would be able to handle it. Redundancy...
Yes. Good point and thank you. Do not need a fire outside of the pellet stove.

However if you using this with a duct it really should have some kind of filter, since your trying to use it as a furnace almost. There must be a "safe" way to do this? I been looking at it , and the only way would be to remove the blower and make a duct into the unit and house the blower and filter on the back, ti would be quite a project.

Last edited:
That is a nice furnace, but its not nice and cute like a eco-65, maybe you could offer an add on kit to the pellet stoves, for those who actually will do maintenance......::P How about something like this? It says you could use as a stand alone, you would need to feed a duct into the stove somehow?

http://www.thecanadiangroup.com/advancedair/pdf/HEPA.pdf
I'll pass the idea on. however the device you suggest is likely expensive and difficult to instal for this application. But the concept is good and i'll pass it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.