Drolet eco65 max burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren111

Sep 26, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I know are a few of us here that have this stove. This is my first heating season burning pellets so my experience is very limited to say the least.
Anyone who owns this stove, have you had it to max burn yet? I've ventured mine up to heat setting 5 for short periods a few times and have gotten nervous and turned it back down within an hour. Exhaust temps are hitting 235 to 240 degrees and it smells like someone is wielding in the dining room. I figured after a few ventures at this setting the smell should go away but it doesn't seem to. Also the pellets are right at the edge of the burn plate almost falling off into the ash pan.
So, questions are-anyone have this stove to heat setting 6 (I've only gone to 5) and what can be expected for exhaust temps and do the pellets actually stay on the burn plate?
I'm a little nervous to try 6 and the high limit is 300° and I'm getting close on 5. I'm burning premium softwood pellets.

Last edited:
Hi, I own an Osburn 7000, apparently the same model with bells, whistles and a larger $$ tag.:confused: Last season I kicked it up but realized we were going into territory that wasn't necessary. I can dial back the combustion settings and then drive the burn rate up on another setting. I didn't do that BTW, I'm just pointing out how I would. I did however take the normal sustainable setting (for LG pellets) and kept kicking it up a notch just to give it a run. Decided, short of the max setting, that it was just over the top and cut it back, not wanting to lose it at the end of a quarter mile.:cool:

Reactions: Darren111
Sounds like I'd like to have some of those bells and whistles. The eco65 isn't easily adjustable. Just the heat settings 1 to 6. The combustion fan, auger speed are preprogrammed. Most settings seems there is too much combustion air.
Anyways, I don't really need max burn, I have a wood furnace if it gets that cold. But, you know, it's there so I want to see but don't want to get the stove so hot that it suffers ill effects.

I never really kept at 6 or 5, did tried it at beginning out of curiosity but that's it.
I usually runs on 3 or 4 and with the plenum addon with two exit one upstair and
the other one in the basement and the radiant heat from the stove I can keep the house at 73F.

I also keep my HVAC fan ON to circulate

@Ambient just looked up your stove. I would love to have the control you have on the eco65. I wonder if the control panel from the osburn would work on the 65. And your right, it is quite a bit more bucks. I didn't get a tstat but the cleaning tools are exactly the same lol.
@Love the Heat I've been told that turning on the blower for my forced air furnace would circulate the heat nicely but with an unheated basement where most of the ductwork is I'm a little dubious. Maybe after time it would work but I think I'd lose too much heating the ducts all the time.

Last February I ran at level 5 for a couple of days . It sure went through the pellets, 3 bags a day. Had no issues with over-temp. Ran it at level 6 just to try for a half hour and seem to burn well. I have an older version with no flue temp so I can say what it was.

@Ambient just looked up your stove. I would love to have the control you have on the eco65. I wonder if the control panel from the osburn would work on the 65. And your right, it is quite a bit more bucks. I didn't get a tstat but the cleaning tools are exactly the same lol.
@Love the Heat I've been told that turning on the blower for my forced air furnace would circulate the heat nicely but with an unheated basement where most of the ductwork is I'm a little dubious. Maybe after time it would work but I think I'd lose too much heating the ducts all the time.
Darren.....Agree with you, in my case with the Eco-65 plenum having an exit downstair and the radiant heat I do heat it
better than with my Heat pump/ LP Hvac so the fan is doing good in my case

Yep, that control panel is definitely worth the extra bucks!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwyaUMNOkNfaDbEL3GVUmXd3Wssk1jlbLwrN2X27Zbt_oacBVwelwt1w.png

Not sure on the newer models, but I run up to about 250-260, bu main thing is to watch your door temps, around 600 is the max I would suggest.. Use one of those magnetic chimney thermometers.

Not sure on the newer models, but I run up to about 250-260, bu main thing is to watch your door temps, around 600 is the max I would suggest.. Use one of those magnetic chimney thermometers.
I've seen this mentioned a lot around here. Placement should be as close to the top of the door as I can get it? That would put it right about where the baffle sits inside.
Supposed to be above freezing here for the next little while but I will definately get one before the colder temps set in.

I took your advice last season!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.