Drolet, Englander or Something comparable

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrimfarm

Dec 15, 2010
Nc
I am new to the forum. I currently have an old non-epa Virginian wood heater which heats well but eats wood fairly quickly. I am looking to upgrade to an EPA model for obvious reasons. I have read and researched as to which is the best value and best stove for the money. I have recently totally gutted my house and remodeled. I used green spray foam insulation and all new windows and doors so I have a very tight and energy efficient house in the 1200 square foot range. I do have some air exchange with vents in the bathroom to introduce fresh air. I also installed a new stainless chimney which draws very well with the current stove. about 75% of the house is now one large open room, living, dining and kitchen with the heater in the middle of the house. I am looking for a stove in the $700-$800 range, non-cat and something that i can hopefully get an overnight burn with. I do have a new 23 seer heat pump that I do not plan on using only for a quick warmup as needed.
From what I have read it seems that the Englander NC13 would be a good match, I like the extra size on the nc30 fire box. However, I am wondering if it would be oversized and have to be ran at a low burn. I have not heard much negative press about them only positive. I have read some positive about the Drolet Savannah. I also looked at the US Stove 2000 Pedestal, model 1098917 which is currently on sale at Tractor supply for 499.00.
Is there a stove I am overlooking? Which one of these do you think is better?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to get this purchase made before the end of the year so I can get the tax credit.
Thanks!
Sean
Western North Carolina

There is nothing comparable to an Englander. :lol:

You are right. Turning a 30-NC loose in well insulated space like that would have you sleeping in the garage. You may not make it to overnight burns with a lot of heat coming off of a 13 but it really all depends on the wood, how late you load it and how late you sleep. I heat twice that amount of space just North of ya with a 30 in a somewhat well insulated house. But don't have that nice heat pump to backstop me.

Thanks for the responses. I know only what I have read about the burning of these EPA stoves. How well can the heat be regulated on the NC13? Am I wrong in thinking I could get the 30 and run it on low or would I end up in the garage like you said? I may have located a 30 at a discount but I do not want to be so oversized that I have to burn it inefficiently. My dad built thousands of wood stoves in the 70s and 80s, fancy these new things with the secondary air and re-burners.
Sean

Pilgrimfarm said:
I am new to the forum. I currently have an old non-epa Virginian wood heater which heats well but eats wood fairly quickly. I am looking to upgrade to an EPA model for obvious reasons. I have read and researched as to which is the best value and best stove for the money. Englander springs to mind . . . a lot of happy folks have Englanders . . . the price is good, but from numerous folks both here and personally what sets these folks apart is their customer service after the sale. I have recently totally gutted my house and remodeled. I used green spray foam insulation and all new windows and doors so I have a very tight and energy efficient house in the 1200 square foot range. Oh, you're a smart one aren't you . . . doing what I did . . . after listening to folks here who recommended tightening up a home with better insulation before buying a stove since it doesn't make sense to have a great woodstove and then lose all that heat. Excellent move. I do have some air exchange with vents in the bathroom to introduce fresh air. I also installed a new stainless chimney which draws very well with the current stove. about 75% of the house is now one large open room, living, dining and kitchen with the heater in the middle of the house. Sounds like a great spot for a new stove . . . and it sounds as though you're nearly all set . . . just add well seasoned wood and the proper hearth with clearances and you'll be golden. I am looking for a stove in the $700-$800 range, non-cat and something that i can hopefully get an overnight burn with. Again, Englander springs to mind . . . good bang for the buck. I do have a new 23 seer heat pump that I do not plan on using only for a quick warmup as needed.
From what I have read it seems that the Englander NC13 would be a good match, I like the extra size on the nc30 fire box. However, I am wondering if it would be oversized and have to be ran at a low burn. I have not heard much negative press about them only positive. I have read some positive about the Drolet Savannah. I also looked at the US Stove 2000 Pedestal, model 1098917 which is currently on sale at Tractor supply for 499.00.
Is there a stove I am overlooking? Which one of these do you think is better? There have been some very good comments about the Drolets and US Stove stoves . . . but again I think what really has impressed me in talking with folks is that Englander has some outstanding customer service . . . local fellow I know bought one of their wood pellet inserts and while installing it found it was missing a part . . . called . . . and the next day it was at his home . . . from Virginia to Maine . . . no questions, no issues, no run-around. The guy was very impressed with that level of service.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to get this purchase made before the end of the year so I can get the tax credit.
Thanks!
Sean
Western North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.