Drolet Escape 1800 installed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Richards

May 21, 2013
Southwest Minnesota
Wow, finally almost completely done except for some tiling in front of the stove. Cold last night so did 1st small burn last night. Stove was real easy to light and I got just a bit of secondary burn. This morning a bit more aggressive with amount of wood. Lit real easy and had great secondarys and nice amount of heat. I think this is going too be a great investment and the stove is @ Menards for $796.00!!! One question. On the smaller breakin fires should I leave the damper wide open all the way through the burn? I shut the air down on the second fire and after the secondaries quit firing I noticed smoke coming from the chimney and the glass on the stove started to get a little dark in a couple spots. I will get a temp gauge today to put on my single wall stovepipe but I was just curious what others have done for thier breakin fires. By the way the Drolet really is an impressively solid unit, Im very pleased with the overall build of the stove.

Depending on the wood you may not be able to shut the air all the way down. It's a judgement call. Ideally you want the flames lazy, but not out.

maybe post it to youtube?

Status
Not open for further replies.