Drolet -- first burn -- glass discolored?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mj5001

Oct 15, 2011
United States
Used my Drolet Eldorado for the first time last night and didn't overdo it but this morning there is a discloration in a corner of the glass that has sort of a rainbow effect (multicolored). Tried to clean it but found that impossible. It's about a 3 by 4 inch spot and the rest of the glass is clear.

What is this?

Should I contact Drolet?

Thanks

It sounds like it might just be a light coating of creosote. How hot did you get the stove? Try another burn, this time hotter and see it it burns off. If not, take some pics and post them so that we can see it too.

Damp paper towel, and dip it in the ask....That and elbow greese should do it.

ask=wood ash. It's a mild abrasive.

If the full on burn doesn't do it, try fluffing the gasket up a bit. It might be having a bit of trouble sealing.

Matt

Ok -- I'll burn again tonight and will post a photo if it doesn't clear up -- seems to me it's IN the glass. I tried cleaning with a rag no go (I read never use windex). I like denatured alcohol for cleaning glass -- ok to use?

Wow -- the wood ash took it right off ! Learn something every day. Crystal clear now.

One other thing though is after my first burn the gaskets on each side of the glass have come "loose" (and discolored) (sort of "burnt") -- they sort of separated from the glass surface. Is that typical?

I wouldn't worry about them unless you have a leak there. They are there to stop air, not really to look pretty.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.