Drolet HT2000 versus Englander 30nc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eric68

Oct 15, 2019
Pennsylvania
Well we need a new stove ASAP as it is COLD after our 14 yo non-cat Dutchwest is done. Been trying to do thorough research and the Drolet seems to be one of the highly recommended although the Englander 30nc pops up as well.

We have a fairly large home - a little over 2000 sq. We try to heat primarily with wood and usually have no problem keeping our house toasty. We also have a plenty of wood ready for the year that was cut to about 20" so we do NOT want a smaller stove that can only take 18" logs. We also want a good quality stove that can last - hopefully - a lifetime. We are definitely more interested in good quality, large stove, long burn time versus trying to save a few $$ and have to replace again.

And any other stove recommendations would be appreciated as well.

And we were looking at woodstovepro.com to purchase and they state free shipping and definitely are priced the best - any feedback on that supplier? I didn't see any reference on their site regarding estimated ship date - trying to contact for an answer -and feedback on how quickly they ship?

Last edited:
Last year we replaced our still functioning great 30 year-old Osburn wood stove with the Escape 1800 from Drolet. Osburn and Drolet are brands of SBI. The build quality of the new Drolet is the same as our old Osburn. It meets the new 2020 epa requirements without a cat and it works great.

I would not hesitate to buy either the new Drolet Escape 2100 or HT-3000 for a replacement of your stove.

Do you ever use the top of your stove for cooking or heating water? The 30NC may be better for cooking, we cook on ours all the time during winter. However the new HT-3000 may now have a partial exposed top? I don't believe HT-2000 has an exposed top for cooking. I have no experience with Drolet models but have been very satisfied with my 30NC. You may also consider the Napoleon 1900 in the mix if that is available, not sure if that model is in production.

well if you can believe mfg spec Drolet ht 2000 is rated 95,000 btu vs NC30 at 60,000 btu. I have a 2200 SQ FT home that I heat with the 30 and it does fine ( note I was at 70 deg F inside when it was neg 30F in my garage this past winter), but I have 6" insulated walls and a build date 1990-91. now the same stove in my previous home of 2000 sq ft 1960 build, brick ranch. The 30 was having a bit of trouble on those 0 degree nights. So much has to do with the insulation and sealing up of the home envelope for any type of heating appliance as well as the lay out of the rooms. Current home lay out is much better suited to the wood stove and no additional fans are required for moving air. A note about the stoves I do not know what the inside of the drolet looks like but the insulation boards above the secondary air pipes are easily replaced in the 30 for nominal cost. they are easily removed for bottom up cleaning as well ( with a 7/12 pitch on my roof that is very nice- I do not bounce well any more kind of just go splat and they scrape me up into one of those tin cans with flashing lights ;lol)

The 30NC is a great value stove, but the HT2000 has a few nicer features like a tougher baffle, better blower. It will handle the 20" wood, but cut to 18" in the future so that you can load N/S.

30 comes with small blower now days - up grade is available to the a larger unit which I had on the previous installation. 3 or 4 seasons down the road I had to replace the bearings in the blower ( seems to be a common occurrence on any make) course for all tha money a 60 or so $ pedstal fan from where ever works just as well.

Thanks all for the info. But after thinking we knew exactly what we wanted we ended up with a Hearthstone Mansfield that we found at a local dealer. Looking forward to getting it up and running!