Drolet install day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: I did all the break in fires and had a first prolonged burn on Tuesday.

Beginning temp: 67
Burn length: 5 hours
Temp after 2 hours: 71
Wood: 4 oak splits/kindling

My concern now is the uninsulated poured concrete walls sucking heat. But all but 2' of the center chimney is within the basement. The east perimeter is two sections of cinder block and 2.5" thick aluminum sliding doors (separated by the chimney), i assume filled with foam board.

The south wall abuts the 25' x 12 patio, so it's not against the "outside", idk if that matters. The coldest I've measured in there was 58 in the dead of winter.

Upstairs, I noticed a 2d difference in the floor temp above the stove area.

Figure about 1/3d of the heat and the wood burned will be heating outdoors.
Not too bad so far, went down this morning and it was 63 in my basement office. Cold, raw, 49 ish rainy outside.

Put in 6 short oak splits and 2-3 hours later it was 68 at my at desk. Put in a few more chunky scrap splits later and that got me through till 6pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.