Drolet Legend vs Austral

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spendaviscpa

Hearth Supporter
Aug 26, 2008
Northern California
I’ve been researching stoves like crazy lately. The decision making process can be dizzying at times. I’ve been focused on the Drolet brand lately. Specifically the Legend vs Austral. I understand they have the same basic firebox. However, has anyone noticed that the Legend is a "jacketed" stove and the Austral is not? That is what the pictures look like and a closer look at the side clearances confirm this.

I tend to be a radiant heat type of guy. However, I like the look of the Legend’s legs. Any idea if the Legend can be ordered with out the side panels? I’m guessing that is a no. I thought I’d ask.
Thanks!

Funny, same situation here. Debating between the same 2 models from Drolet. Legend is available locally at 1200$ but Austral would do the same job for me since the stove is out of view so look is not important. Didn't found it locally yet, will check tomorrow.

You made me notice the Legend side panel. I searched on the Drolet website and the only place they talk about it is in the Legend part manual. There are listed as "decorative side panels".

In fact, looking at the manual, I see you can remove them and a few other things. Good news for me since I will probably have to remove as much weight as I can (Legend is heavy!) to move it downstair.

The side shielding is more than decorative. The shields on the Baltic and Legend halve the side and corner clearances from 24" to 12". (17 to 8.5" for corner).

I'm not concerned with side or corner clearances as I have plenty of room. I'm leaning towards the Austral. I have a certain dislike for jacketed stoves. I just like the legs on the legend. As with everything in life, there are trade offs. It's definitely not a deal breaker nor the end of the world.

Mario114 - the best price I have found was on dynamitebuys.com and that included free shipping.

The shields on the Baltic and Legend halve the side and corner clearances from 24" to 12". (17 to 8.5" for corner).

Oh! Didn't saw that! :) Well, I didn't checked clearance at all since I have plenty (or so I though) but that's a nice feature for sure...

@spendaviscpa: Free shipping is probably not for Canada but since Drolet stoves are made here in Quebec, I should not have any problem finding an Austral if I search a bit more. :)

Sounds great Mario114! Keep us posted on how you like it. I still have not made a decision yet! I'm probably a week or 2 from pulling the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.