Drolet Myriad question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardrockmaple

Feeling the Heat
Nov 26, 2010
Nova Scotia
While looking over a Myriad at a local hardware store I noticed that the fire bricks had no retaining bar/rod along the top. When I asked the young lady working there about this, I got the "deer in the headlite" look and a "I'm not sure". Came home and went to the Drolet website but I still found no evidence that these bricks are held in place some how. Could someone with a Myriad (or similar) please give me a yes or no on this. Thanks in advance.

Imagine the look you'll get after you buy one and need a part! How about you visit an Enerzone hearth shop dealer. Pretty much the same stove lines, and I'll bet you a cup of coffee you may get answers to your questions.

Hardrockmaple, no the fire bricks are not held in at the top on the Myriad by a bracket. They are between the lower bricks and the side on the bottom. They can move a little bit at the top, mabey a 1/4". They however will not fall over since they are trapped at the bottom and once the stove has been packed with ash in the little gaps between the lower bricks they are pretty much locked in place. I was a bit concerned about that at first also but that did not prove to be a problem.

blwncrewchief said:
Hardrockmaple, no the fire bricks are not held in at the top on the Myriad by a bracket. They are between the lower bricks and the side on the bottom. They can move a little bit at the top, mabey a 1/4". They however will not fall over since they are trapped at the bottom and once the stove has been packed with ash in the little gaps between the lower bricks they are pretty much locked in place. I was a bit concerned about that at first also but that did not prove to be a problem.

Yup, i agree, no problems here. Never had one move, there pretty tight in there especially after the ash gets between them

Franks said:
Imagine the look you'll get after you buy one and need a part! How about you visit an Enerzone hearth shop dealer. Pretty much the same stove lines, and I'll bet you a cup of coffee you may get answers to your questions.

They are nice looking stoves, but twice the price and I don't need pretty to heat a basement. Seeking function, reasonably priced. Thanks tho.

The Enerzones arent really any "prettier" than the Drolet. They also shouldnt be twice as much. Maybe a little bit more money. Most Enerzone dealers who know whats going on can also sell you a Century stove, very reasonably priced and you can have a salesperson who can answer questions and a good shop if you need after the sale price.

Franks said:
The Enerzones arent really any "prettier" than the Drolet. They also shouldnt be twice as much. Maybe a little bit more money. Most Enerzone dealers who know whats going on can also sell you a Century stove, very reasonably priced and you can have a salesperson who can answer questions and a good shop if you need after the sale price.

I'm sure SBI won't care which of their products I buy. I've recently priced both stoves. the (advertised 3.1 cu/ft) Drolet Myriad can be had here for just under $1000.00 + tax while the Enerzone 2.9 is at $1599.00 + tax, the 3.4 around $1800.00 + tax and most Canadians pay a 15% Goods & Services Tax, you do the math. I really like the Enerzone 3.4 but I really hate paying the tax. I like the look of the stainless steel baffle/tube system and the damper bypass arrangement offered by the Drolet line, Enerzone has neither. So it would seem the Drolet (for now) has the winning combination. The fact the young lady at the hardware store was/is uninformed on the stoves is certainly not a deal breaker for me.

I have one still in the pallet sitting here in my living room - will get installed probably around May when the weather gets nicer. I kind of feel for you on price as I got mine about 2 weeks ago for $674 and and 11% rebate on that. Fire bricks are not held in at top as indicated, but also indicated that once cemented in by ash packing, they are not going anywhere. One thing I do see about the firebox that I may try to remendy is that it appears as though there should be another row of fire bricks up high on the side and back of the stove. As currently set up, there does not appears to be a way to keep them up there, bu I will take another look once I get things all set up. I'm sure the unit is fine w/o the bricks there, but I think it is nice to be able to protect the metal in the box for situation when you get a hot fire - sometimes simply do to neglect to throttle down the air. If anyone has modified the ability to put additional bricks in, I would love to hear about it - whether this stove or one of its kissing cousins with the same firebox.

I agree I got my stove (same firebox) a few weeks ago I had one brick slightly hanging out but after a couple of uses they are all perfect and uniform, not going anywhere....

A new owner of the Drolet Myraid ... currently have a post going for answering as to why I'm not getting much heat from my new stove (think it needs a longer chimney and better wood; still waiting for replies, etc.)

I am posting HERE to your two-year old posts regarding the "loose-brick-installed" question ... this was a worry of mine, also, after I got it installed. In fact, a notch or two up on private worry when I noticed that the second brick on the front right of the stove kept gently falling about an inch and a half to two inches down but did not fall over to the bottom of the interior floor.

Now that I've read this post, I am going to put some extra ASH in front of the slot and to the sides of this particular brick and I bet this will solve it.

I'm so glad that someone else put this question out there, answering the same question I had, too.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.