Drolet vs Englander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Painless

Mar 27, 2011
Central Massachusetts
I just stumbled across this forum/site and I'm amazed at all the information here... I'll be reading for weeks.

I did a quick search and didn't really find any answers to my question, so figured I'd ask.

I'll be putting in a wood stove in the finished basment of my split level this year (1650'ish sq ft) and I've narrowed it down between two make/models... Englander 13NC or the Drolet Savannah.

How do the two stoves compare?

I figure I'll be burning 3-4 cords a year in a effort to piss off the arabs and my local oil company, just don't have it in my budget to spend much more than $1000 on a stove. Of course I'd take other suggestions if it fits my budget.

*hearth and chimney are on a seperate budget, already paid for*

Thanks

Greetings OP. There's a big difference in size between these two stoves. The Englander has twice the firebox capacity, so this is not really comparing apples to apples. If there is a large and easy way for the heat to rise from the basement, I would get the Englander. It is a good workhorse at a great price if you shop carefully.

BeGreen said:
Greetings OP. There's a big difference in size between these two stoves. The Englander has twice the firebox capacity, so this is not really comparing apples to apples. If there is a large and easy way for the heat to rise from the basement, I would get the Englander. It is a good workhorse at a great price if you shop carefully.

I meant to type 13NC not 30NC... guess I've read so many reviews on the Englander stoves (mostly 30NC) that the larger one got stuck in my head.

I'll correct my error in my original post.

I was mostly looking for quality aspects, is one make better than the other. I'm leaning toward the Drolet for the simple fact that it comes with a blower. I know I can add one to the 13NC, but when I total the prices up with blowers included, the drolet wins by over $100.

I still would go with the 30NC unless this is a very easy to heat house.

For a great price with free shipping, enter 13601 as your zipcode and check out this price. At $649 delivered it's a no-brainer.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

If you miss the deal, there is also this option:

http://www.overstockstoves.com/50nowomo2sqf.html

However, to answer you original question with the 13NC vs the Drolet Savannah. The Drolet has an advantage with an easy hearth requirement.

OP, I was comparing the Drolet HT-2000 and 30NC. I have contacted the local Drolet dealer ( sales manager ) and asked a few questions and wanted to see the stove on display in a local store nearby. His reply was "Order one".... so that ended my dealings with Drolet. I did tons of reading and research on the 2 stoves and the feedback has been 100% +ve on the NC30. I also found the NC13 and NC30 in a local Canadian Tire store and both stoves looked great. I am waiting for the NC30 to go on sale, either spring or fall.

Keep reading and you will change your mind. Also check the "stove reviews" page.

Ozzy

BeGreen said:
I still would go with the 30NC unless this is a very easy to heat house.

For a great price with free shipping, enter 13601 as your zipcode and check out this price. At $649 delivered it's a no-brainer.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

If you miss the deal, there is also this option:

http://www.overstockstoves.com/50nowomo2sqf.html

However, to answer you original question with the 13NC vs the Drolet Savannah. The Drolet has an advantage with an easy hearth requirement.

At that price... it is a no-brainer!

Thanks for posting that, you just saved me some money :)

The 30NC is a little bigger than I would like, but I'll make her fit for that price (shipped to my door). Even with adding the blower later, it still comes out cheaper than I was expecting to pay. Just need to find the minimum rear clearance distance and I'm all set... should be pulling the trigger on this stove tomorrow.

Just upgrade the chainsaw to a Dolmar 5105 a few weeks back... my wallet is hating me. :)

Did you check the Home Depot in Leominster, I thought I saw two 13's and one 30 on clearance when I was there last week. I thought I saw a price of $500 but I didnt really check it out closely.

weatherguy said:
Did you check the Home Depot in Leominster, I thought I saw two 13's and one 30 on clearance when I was there last week. I thought I saw a price of $500 but I didnt really check it out closely.

I'll make some calls to the local stores and see if they have any on clearance before I buy it through their online store. If I can save more than $50 and pick one up it would be worth it, otherwise I'd just rather it get dropped off ot my house for free.

I'm actually closer to South Central Mass than anything else Sturbridge/Southbridge area... so the Auburn or Wilburham HD is where I'm hoping to find the deal, but I'd drive regardless for $500 on the stove.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Old Painless said:
weatherguy said:

I'll make some calls to the local stores and see if they have any on clearance before I buy it through their online store. If I can save more than $50 and pick one up it would be worth it, otherwise I'd just rather it get dropped off ot my house for free.

I'm actually closer to South Central Mass than anything else Sturbridge/Southbridge area... so the Auburn or Wilburham HD is where I'm hoping to find the deal, but I'd drive regardless for $500 on the stove.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Im in Southbridge myself but was in Leominster for work last week. The Oxford HD didnt have left the other day but havent been in any of the other HD's around here lately.

The Dartmouth, Ma Home Depot still has 2 VL-17 and a 13 or a 30 left.
The VL-17 are now marked down to $483.
Swansea Home Depot has nothing.
Just a FYI.

Figured I'd bring some closeure to the thread and say that I snagged one of the last remaining 30NC's at any of the Home Depot's in Mass or CT... didn't get it any cheaper than the $649 that was offered online this past weekend.

Just need to decide what I want to do about a hearth and I'll be golden.

Good deal. You'll be warm next winter for sure.

With all the stove talk we never found out about the stove location. Is there a wide open path to the upper level of the house from the stove location?

BeGreen said:
Good deal. You'll be warm next winter for sure.

With all the stove talk we never found out about the stove location. Is there a wide open path to the upper level of the house from the stove location?

It will be in a downstairs finished basement and there is a nice path to the stairs in the center of the house, heat should rise right upstairs if I keep the door open. I have a large ceiling fan located at the top of the open stair well, so I should't have issue drawing up. I'll see what the circulation looks like once it's all hooked up and running, might have to put in a register to allow the cold upstairs air to flow down.

This is the first time the house has had a wood stove, so I'm unsure of how the whole setup will work as far as heat distribution is concerned. I currently have oil/forced hot water heat and two direct vented gas fireplaces... one on each floor.

I'll be running Duravent out the wall and straight up the side of the house... I'll more than likely chase it up when I re-do my siding in the future.

Old Painless said:
Figured I'd bring some closeure to the thread and say that I snagged one of the last remaining 30NC's at any of the Home Depot's in Mass or CT... didn't get it any cheaper than the $649 that was offered online this past weekend.

Just need to decide what I want to do about a hearth and I'll be golden.

Good deal! You paid the same price as I did for mine. Ordered from Home Depot with free shipping to my door - not bad.

I'm looking forward to getting it hooked-up this fall to see if it really is a heating beast!

Bill

Regarding the blower, install the stove and use it for awhile before you buy it. You can do pretty much the same thing with small portable fans. A lot cheaper.

Old Painless, since I didn't see any one else mention this, I hope you've either got firewood already or plan to get some soon. VERY soon.
You won't be such a happy camper if you try to burn wet wood in this stove. Depending on the type of wood that you get, you may or may not have problems next winter.
Congrats too, on getting the deal on the stove. It should serve you well.
Oh, and we LOVE pics, so those are expected ASAP.
BrotherBart should be along in a while to give you your shirt. He's the official shirt giver-outer 'round here.
Jeez, where are my manners?!
Welcome to the Hearth.

Welcome.

Here's yer shirt.

Attachments

• englander t shirt.jpg
    englander t shirt.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 600
Status
Not open for further replies.