Drolet vs vogelzang

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bigred78

Jan 17, 2017
labrador
I am in the process of building my cabin. The cabin is roughly 1000sq/ft. It has alot of very large windows and I live in Labrador where average winter temperature is -25. I don't know a real lot about woodstove and there is two available at the local store. There is a drolet austral 2 and a vogelzang ponderosa. Both seem to take a larger stick. Ponderosa takes 22 inch and drolet 20. Any input, suggestions or thoughts would be great.
Thanks

Drolet Austral 2 would probably be my preference here now that they have the c-cast baffle. SBI service is pretty good by all reports.

Drolet here as well.

Go Drolet !

Part of the SBI Group which also manufacture Osburn and Enerzone stoves amongst others, good solid company with a good reputation.

The only other stove in town besides those 2 is a englander nc30. All are roughly the same price. The drolet is on sale coming in at 200 cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

Vogelzang doesn't have the greatest reputation, Drolet is the same folks that makes Osburn. I've got the Englandr for what it's worth and I really like it. Made in USA too if you care about that

Reactions: UrbanBrnr
The Drolet is a better and far more reputable stove. SBI International Drolet parent company export stoves and fireplaces around the world, SBI's manufacturing plants are located in Quebec and Ontario, they are well known for quality service and standing behind their products and warranty. Parts are easy to obtain with SBI for all their products.

http://www.sbi-international.com/en/our-brands/

Is vogelzang a bad stove? Or the drolet is just bette
I do not know the ponderosa but I can tell you that vogelzang has made and still makes some stoves that are horribly designed and are downright dangerous to have in your house. The ponderosa may be just fine but I cannot support a company that sells the crap they do.

Reactions: webby3650
SBI makes a solid stove. Vozelgang, not so much, low quality stuff. You get what you pay for here!

I am in the process of building my cabin. The cabin is roughly 1000sq/ft. It has alot of very large windows and I live in Labrador where average winter temperature is -25. I don't know a real lot about woodstove and there is two available at the local store. There is a drolet austral 2 and a vogelzang ponderosa. Both seem to take a larger stick. Ponderosa takes 22 inch and drolet 20. Any input, suggestions or thoughts would be great.
Thanks
I bought my insert (also made by SBI) from these guys:

https://www.myfireplaceproducts.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=DB03031&Lang=EN

You can probably use it as price check. In my case, I got a 25 ft liner + insert for 900 shipped free.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
View attachment 192978

Yeah that's the reason why I bought from them and they are very responsive, initially I was thinking about a drolet 1800i, but the dimension doesn't fit, they stop processing the shipment and found cw2500 for me. The item was dropped ship to the edge of my driveway in NJ, my wife caught him n pay him a small amount to haul it into my garage. All and all, very happy with them and the product alone, w the us tax deduction of 300, I actually paid $600 for liner n insert!

IMO the vogelzangs, woodpro, et al that I've seen on the showroom floors just felt cheap. A few may have differing views but I certainly wouldn't buy one without having hands on it first. Not sure how much after the sale support you would get either. SBI offered great support to me several times on a used Osburn insert I purchased. Nothing was ever wrong with the stove but the few times I had questions and ordered some parts they were very responsive.

IMO the vogelzangs, woodpro, et al that I've seen on the showroom floors just felt cheap. A few may have differing views but I certainly wouldn't buy one without having hands on it first. Not sure how much after the sale support you would get either. SBI offered great support to me several times on a used Osburn insert I purchased. Nothing was ever wrong with the stove but the few times I had questions and ordered some parts they were very responsive.
Same here also emailed SBI several times for similar reasons, they are very responsive and helpful.

Thanks
IMO- the US stove 3000 is less btus but a better stove than Vogalzang.

Unless I am mistaken I believe you can still order replacement parts directly from Drolet or SBI should you need them, no need to order via a stove shop or dealer, if I were living in Labrador that would be a big plus that I would take in to consideration.

If you use and burn your Drolet normally as it was intended for unless you have a mishap and break the door glass or something unlucky such as that all you will be ordering from Drolet for a while are small wear or maintenance items such as door or window gaskets. They make a excellent stove, however some of their models are not the prettiest and some of their models look very nice, you pay more for the nicer looking ones with the same fire box, efficiency and operation, the cosmetics and looks cost more $$.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replys. Seems drolet is a great stove with great customer service. The webpage mentioned before with the free shipping is Probably the way I'm gonna go. Is there also a webpage that sells England stoves with free shipping?

Thanks for all the replys. Seems drolet is a great stove with great customer service. The webpage mentioned before with the free shipping is Probably the way I'm gonna go. Is there also a webpage that sells England stoves with free shipping?

Not that I'm aware of. Not sure what you have for big box hardware but down here home depot will ship to store for free.

The only box store we have is home hardware. Small town of 8000 people. Nearest big box store is like 1100km away.