Drop Chute Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sussexquadrafire

Jan 15, 2015
Sparta, NJ
I have a Quadrafire AE pellet insert.

Stove is only 3 months old.

I suddenly started getting pellets not completely dropping through the drop chute. The firepot and ash pan and completely clean. Nothing seems to be obstructing the drop chute.

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Rich

Could be bridging at the auger entrance. Was there a recent change in pellet brand?

How long are the pellets? I've had Turmans that were just long enough to hang up at the bottom of the chute and clog the works up. Its happened twice now. If they are longer than an inch or so, drop the bags on a hard floor a few times and it should help.

I have a Quadrafire AE pellet insert.

Stove is only 3 months old.

I suddenly started getting pellets not completely dropping through the drop chute. The firepot and ash pan and completely clean. Nothing seems to be obstructing the drop chute.

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Rich

Define what you mean when you say "pellets not completely dropping through the drop chute." and then you say " Nothing seems to be obstructing the drop chute."

Does this mean that they get stuck in the drop chute or does it mean you aren't getting as many pellets dropping at each drop?

Check the bottom of the hopper for fines, the auger will not get loaded with as many pellets and the drop will have fewer pellets in it.

There are other things but this is one place to start looking.

The pellets drop but then stop at the bottom of the drop chute. I seem to be getting the right amount of pellets dropping at each drop.

I have already checked the hopper twice.

Is it possible to post a picture of the stopped pellets.

image1.JPG

The pellets are piling up behind the firepot and at the base of the drop chute. Pellets at the base of the drop chute just fell into firepot as I was taking picture but were on fire. Also, I turned off the stove like 30 mins ago and it seems like there are still pellets dropping through the chute.

How long are the pellets? I've had Turmans that were just long enough to hang up at the bottom of the chute and clog the works up. Its happened twice now. If they are longer than an inch or so, drop the bags on a hard floor a few times and it should help.
If you do that you will increase the amount of fines in the bag.

Stop no more burning until you clean that stove, that crud is creosote.

Then once you have a completely clean stove system (includes the venting) refer to the section in your manual on flame height setting.

Now I am getting a vacuum SW error. Error is coming on intermittently. Stove is on.

I checked the vacuum hose and its clear. Vacuum switch shouldnt be bad after 3 months.

Now I am getting a vacuum SW error. Error is coming on intermittently. Stove is on.

I checked the vacuum hose and its clear. Vacuum switch shouldnt be bad after 3 months.

It isn't bad, it is the number one safety on the stove it is telegraphing the clean me message which you don't seem to understand.

Clean the blasted stove, it is telling you clean me.

If you keep playing that stove is going to bite you big time.

X2, clean everything, everywhere, again, repeat

Yeah the stove was so clean you could eat off the interior surfaces.

Meanwhile the vacuum switch is not staying closed and you tell us that the hose is clear etc ...

That should scream clean me all by itself. There is no way that the stove can detect that the vacuum switch is bad. Then couple that with the fact that vacuum switches rarely ever fail.

And yes I've read the trouble shooting section table in the manual it is incomplete so maybe you should point Quadrafire corporate to this thread. Start a conversation with https://www.hearth.com/talk/members/quadrafire.41722/

That firebox picture told me all I needed to know.

That stove needs a good cleaning. Black is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.