drop light - what light bulb?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick06

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2008
media, pa
I have a few drop lights and seem to always be dropping them... or bumping them... or whatever. The point is I break lightbulbs pretty quick in the drop light.

Incandescent lights have been good since they are cheap. but they are harder to find. CFL seem to be just about as sensitive to drops as the incandescent. Has anyone tried LED? Or found a different alternative for a drop light?

You can try using rough service bulbs, they should last longer.
I have a florescent drop light, have not broken it yet.

Yup, I have a rough service bulb in service for years, and I don't baby it. Cost almost $4, but worth it!

+100 on the rough service bulbs - it's the only way to go. I finally had one burn out (not break) during the Summer, after ?? years of service. So, I stuck a regular bulb in to finish the job, and was reminded within the hour of why you spend the money for the rough service %-P

Awesome, I never knew how well those things worked, awesome, might be doing that

Although I have always been thinking about buying something like this for $12
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/e27-1210-6w-84-led-588-lumen-6500k-light-bulb-white-85-265v-ac-35829

sku_35829_1.jpg

Thanks!

Those lights probably work okay, but I don't like the "flat" light they give out. They reduce shadows very well, but at least for me, make it hard to see detail, and screws up my depth perception. But I wear Coke-bottle thick glasses, which also make dandy safety glasses. YMMV.

WES999 said:

x100 on rough service bulbs.

They'll still go out, but not as easily.
There's also ones that have a shatter resistant coating on them. So if the bulb cracks it will all stay together... or else if you really smash it, it will just break in half instead of a million pieces.

Hass said:
WES999 said:

x100 on rough service bulbs.

They'll still go out, but not as easily.
There's also ones that have a shatter resistant coating on them. So if the bulb cracks it will all stay together... or else if you really smash it, it will just break in half instead of a million pieces.

Yes, and the coating makes them a little more resistant to shattering if liquid hits them.

If I were buying a new drop light it would be LED. I have LED, CFL, and Incandesceant lights and like the LEDS the best. Durable, low wattage, almost zero heat output (major drawback to incandescent). The CFL light I have is ok but it had proven relatively fragile compared to the LED's. It's also being held together by electrical tape right now. :lol:

If you're only looking to replace an existing droplight bulb, stick with a "Rough Service" bulb. LED's really don't work well unless they have specially designed reflectors built in to the bulb or are built into the lamp like most LED dropligts are designed.

i used to go through about 10 incandescent a year in my drop light, until i switched to the cfl. Ive had much better luck with those. They seem to survive drops off the engine bay.

stop buying drop lites and buy a stay put lite
anyhow I cant remember ever changing my fluorescent bulb in my drop lite

Status
Not open for further replies.