1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

drop light - what light bulb?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by maverick06, Nov 19, 2011.

1. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
    I have a few drop lights and seem to always be dropping them... or bumping them... or whatever. The point is I break lightbulbs pretty quick in the drop light.

Incandescent lights have been good since they are cheap. but they are harder to find. CFL seem to be just about as sensitive to drops as the incandescent. Has anyone tried LED? Or found a different alternative for a drop light?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. WES999

WES999 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mass north of Boston
    You can try using rough service bulbs, they should last longer.
    I have a florescent drop light, have not broken it yet.
  3. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    Yup, I have a rough service bulb in service for years, and I don't baby it. Cost almost $4, but worth it!
  4. willworkforwood

willworkforwood Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Ma
    +100 on the rough service bulbs - it's the only way to go. I finally had one burn out (not break) during the Summer, after ?? years of service. So, I stuck a regular bulb in to finish the job, and was reminded within the hour of why you spend the money for the rough service %-P
  5. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
  6. heat seeker

Loc:
    Northern CT
    Those lights probably work okay, but I don't like the "flat" light they give out. They reduce shadows very well, but at least for me, make it hard to see detail, and screws up my depth perception. But I wear Coke-bottle thick glasses, which also make dandy safety glasses. YMMV.
  7. Hass

Hass Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alabama, NY
    x100 on rough service bulbs.

They'll still go out, but not as easily.
    There's also ones that have a shatter resistant coating on them. So if the bulb cracks it will all stay together... or else if you really smash it, it will just break in half instead of a million pieces.
  8. heat seeker

Loc:
    Northern CT
    Yes, and the coating makes them a little more resistant to shattering if liquid hits them.
  9. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

If I were buying a new drop light it would be LED. I have LED, CFL, and Incandesceant lights and like the LEDS the best. Durable, low wattage, almost zero heat output (major drawback to incandescent). The CFL light I have is ok but it had proven relatively fragile compared to the LED's. It's also being held together by electrical tape right now. :lol:

If you're only looking to replace an existing droplight bulb, stick with a "Rough Service" bulb. LED's really don't work well unless they have specially designed reflectors built in to the bulb or are built into the lamp like most LED dropligts are designed.
  10. EJL923

EJL923 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Mass
    i used to go through about 10 incandescent a year in my drop light, until i switched to the cfl. Ive had much better luck with those. They seem to survive drops off the engine bay.
  11. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI
    stop buying drop lites and buy a stay put lite
    anyhow I cant remember ever changing my fluorescent bulb in my drop lite