Dropped a split on my big toe....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This happen a long time ago but still hurts. Loading a dump truck with split wood using a wheelbarrow and 3 long pieces of 2x10 put together. We tacked the wood together to use as a ramp to get a running start and push the wheelbarrow up the ramp and dump into the truck. (Did not say it was smart) During this process over and over (worked pretty good till the end) the bolts that held the metal nose of the barrow began to loosen up. On one of the last running starts as I approached the ramp the nose bit into the wood and stopped the barrow on a dime. I, on the other hand, did not stop. The bolt on the back of the wheel barrow that holds the piece of metal on both legs smashed directly into my knee cap. The barrow went up in the air and I went over the handles and it unloaded all of the split wood into my face as I landed on my back. No harm hitting this face but the bolt that entered my knee cap tore the flesh off my knee cap and exposed the bone. Few stitches but did not fracture anything. Knee still hurts when I run long distance in the military.

This happen a long time ago but still hurts. Loading a dump truck with split wood using a wheelbarrow and 3 long pieces of 2x10 put together. We tacked the wood together to use as a ramp to get a running start and push the wheelbarrow up the ramp and dump into the truck. (Did not say it was smart) During this process over and over (worked pretty good till the end) the bolts that held the metal nose of the barrow began to loosen up. On one of the last running starts as I approached the ramp the nose bit into the wood and stopped the barrow on a dime. I, on the other hand, did not stop. The bolt on the back of the wheel barrow that holds the piece of metal on both legs smashed directly into my knee cap. The barrow went up in the air and I went over the handles and it unloaded all of the split wood into my face as I landed on my back. No harm hitting this face but the bolt that entered my knee cap tore the flesh off my knee cap and exposed the bone. Few stitches but did not fracture anything. Knee still hurts when I run long distance in the military.

This past weekend I noticed something not right with my wheel barrow. Upon checking it out I found one of the bolts had loosened and fallen off. I was glad I caught it before something bad happened.

From a few years back.

Attachments

• smallhead.jpg
    smallhead.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 159
Cutting a branch on a pine tree with a non motorized pole saw . . . did it the wrong way with no undercut, just a top cut. Next thing I know I see the branch swinging down and smacking me in the face . . . after that it was a gentle slide down the ladder and a whole lot of bleeding . . . and a trip to the ER.

Cutting a branch on a pine tree with a non motorized pole saw . . . did it the wrong way with no undercut, just a top cut. Next thing I know I see the branch swinging down and smacking me in the face . . . after that it was a gentle slide down the ladder and a whole lot of bleeding . . . and a trip to the ER.

On a ladder too. That could have been a lot worse. Glad your ok.

I was pulling some splits off the pile for the upcoming cold spell and as I turned to load the hand truck a split rolled off the pile and landed on my big toe. I feel bad for the neighbors, I couldn't hold my tongue. Did that ever hurt.
anyone got any goofy injuries like this working with the solid stuff?

For some reason, this thread reminds me of this clip...;lol

Hope your toe heals OK!

Not sure how I did it but had the stove door open one night getting the fire going and managed to touch the HOT nickle door on my forehead. Blistered for a couple weeks, being bald does not help.

So far Gunny's wheel barrel-torn knee cap and andybaker's shattered thumb make me cringe the most.

Mine happened when I was building a wood cart. I was drilling angle iron clamped in a vise with a dull drill bit and had to push real hard.
The drill punched through the angle iron while my right thumb was lying on TOP of the vise. The spinning chuck spun my finger nail into the bone. One surgery later I am fine, but there were some new words invented that day.

Last edited:
So far Gunny's wheel barrel-torn knee cap and andybaker's shattered thumb make me cringe the most.

Mine happened when I was building a wood cart. I was drilling angle iron clamped in a vise with a dull drill bit and had to push real hard.
The drill punched through the angle iron while my right thumb was lying on TOP of the vise. The spinning chuck spun my finger nail into the bone. One surgery later I am fine, but there were some new words invented that day.
I'd say your experience takes the cake so far. The worst I got is a black toenail and 2 days of a sore big toe

Status
Not open for further replies.