Dropped some white oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

certified106

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2010
Athens, Ohio
Spent Saturday out at my parents helping Dad drop, limb, and buck three big white oak trees. Had a good time working with him but it was kind of a rough day. He hadn't been feeling that well and had gone to the doctor's 2 weeks back long story short they told him they thought he had cancer and ran a bunch of tests. He told me he had to get those trees down at so my Mom would at least have 4 years worth of should anything happen that laid him up. Well we got the results on Monday and everything came back normal. Moral of the story life is short enjoy the time you have with your loved ones some day you are going to wish you had the chance!

Attachments

• 2011-12-03_14-08-47_648.jpg
    2011-12-03_14-08-47_648.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 580
  • 2011-12-03_15-32-48_799.jpg
    2011-12-03_15-32-48_799.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 592
  • 2011-12-03_15-34-44_831.jpg
    2011-12-03_15-34-44_831.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 596
  • 2011-12-03_14-08-53_115.jpg
    2011-12-03_14-08-53_115.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 578
I really enjoyed your comments man and they are so true. Good to hear everything is ok with your Dad! I still have all my loved ones and cant imagine life without them.

Well spoken. Glad your dad is going to be alright. Looks like a long day in the woods. Nice photos.

You said it - live life that way!

My Dad's story turned out the opposite... Never take what you have for granted.

I bet you will be working with him again.. soon.

looks like fun all that wood bucked up.

certified106 said:
Spent Saturday out at my parents helping Dad drop, limb, and buck three big white oak trees. Had a good time working with him but it was kind of a rough day. He hadn't been feeling that well and had gone to the doctor's 2 weeks back long story short they told him they thought he had cancer and ran a bunch of tests. He told me he had to get those trees down at so my Mom would at least have 4 years worth of should anything happen that laid him up. Well we got the results on Monday and everything came back normal. Moral of the story life is short enjoy the time you have with your loved ones some day you are going to wish you had the chance!

Must of been an emotional day, very glad about the good news your family received.

zap

That's great news and a good motto to live by.

Nice oaks!

Glad to hear about your father certified. Nice work. And thanks for sharing the pictures. Keep them coming. Wise advice you gave there.

Good news
I bet it was a great fun day.
Good pictures.
Looks like some fence posts. Hope you didn't find any wire. :)

Glad your Dad is going to be fine. Enjoy the moments

Couldn't have said it any better certified. My mother is near 70 and lives 2 1/2 hours north of me. I always make sure she has wood for the winter. She loves burning and 2 years ago I replaced her old blaze king with a hearthstone. She can burn that thing with the best of them! :)

Glad your Dad is okay as well and nice work! Cheers!

Looks like you guys are saving some of the smaller branches - I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who does that, even with a big tree.

Great certified. Having my best friend getting cancer has blown a bit of wind out of my sails. But so far the treatment is doing fine.

Sounds like a great way to spend time with your father. How much wood did your trees yield?

Congratulations on his negative test results (or positive, depending on how you look at it). Cancer is a GD MF SOB disease that should only strike people like bin laden, not the good people of this world. Spending time with your Pops is always time well spent. As my parents age, I've come to the realization that that I will never look back one day and say, "Gee, I wish I had spent LESS time with my folks". While it will be a travel @$$ ache, my wife and I are going to their place for Christmas eve even though the family gathering is Christmas day and 100 miles away. I want my parents to wake up on Christmas morning with their 3-year old grandson in their house, the best present I can give them.

My dad died from several forms of cancer July 2009. We were working on repairing a broken relationship when he died. Grab the time while you can, heal ANY wounds that you can, and enjoy your family life is what you make if it!

Glad to hear you guys got good news.

f v

Wood Duck said:
Looks like you guys are saving some of the smaller branches - I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who does that, even with a big tree.

I save all the small branches too (down to about 2" diameter - especially oak - awesome shoulder season burns! Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Wood Duck said:

I save all the small branches too (down to about 2" diameter - especially oak - awesome shoulder season burns! Cheers!

Me too. If its sound & not rotten/spongy,I save everything down to about 1 1/4" or so.Still burning mostly smaller stuff up to 5" rounds now,only a few larger splits in past couple weeks.Unless it turns really cold,should have enough to last another 2-3 weeks.This pile is a small part of what I started with in late October - approx. 2 p/u loads of shorts & uglies,milling scrap,odds & ends,fallen dead branches/small saplings.

Attachments

• the last of all the small stuff hauled in.jpg
    the last of all the small stuff hauled in.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 245
Appreciate all the kind words from everyone! I have been really busy with work and Christmas school plays this week and haven't had much free time but I figure we will get around to splitting the oak next weekend and I 'm guessing it will be around two cords or more.. I usually always cut everything down to about 1-2" as it all burns good when it's dry.
I am one of the lucky ones when it comes to my family as my parents and I have always gotten along well. That not to say I didn't receive my fair share of whippings growing up though and most of them were deserved :smirk: . I have been cutting wood with my dad for as long as I was old enough to not hurt myself and be a hinderance to him. We still try to split cut and split together if time allows and for the most part we try not to rush as it's nice to take a break and shoot the bull for 20 minutes when filling up the saws.

Status
Not open for further replies.