Dropped this Beech today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailrated

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2009
Maryland
This beech tree was to close to the house and had 2 dead spots high up. It made me nervous every time we got a storm so my neighbor and I took it down today. We used an extension pole and got a large rope up the tree. Hooked the rope to a dozer, neighbor cut and gave me the signal to pull it with the dozer. We dropped it within an 8 foot space between 2 chain link fence posts. It really was a precise drop. I gotta hand it to my neighbor, he knows what he's doing when it comes to dropping trees. A good ole' 69 year old farmer he is. Some of you may not approve of the way we did it but I wasn't paying $500 + to have a company come in and do it. My neighbor and I have dropped other trees close to the house using machinery, ropes and turn buckles to make a precise drop. I trust him that he knows what he is doing.

beech4.jpg

beech.jpg

beech3.jpg

beech2.jpg

+1 The tree was brought down safely,no one or nothing was hurt.That's what counts.

Nice planning and drop. Last I knew a good farmer could do anything.

Zap

I definitely was a nervous Nelly because if something went wrong, it was on me. HO policy wouldn't cover my mistake. I just convinced myself that the tree hooked to a Case 855 Dozer really didn't have a choice but to go where we pulled it. Although anything can go wrong. Just had to keep the rope tight until the tree reached a point of no return. My neighbor made a precise cut to. I thought some of those "Son of Beech" branches would have at least brushed my satellite dish, but nope all was good. I get to return the favor tomorrow and help him drop some trees for his firewood supply. We will be in wide open space though, no risk of hitting any structures.

Like to see the bull line, nice Job!

What do you mean that some would not approve of what you did? Looks to me like you did what had to be done. Great job!

Looks like you guys hooked it left about 4 inches, lol. Heck of a job there. One section of fence to drop through, that took some Stones!

Awesome job. You should be proud of that drop. The only way to completely drop it safely was how you did it or to climb it and rope it down. +1 for you and the "old farmer" !!!

No disapproval here. Well done. Wish I had that bulldozer.

pen

Backwoods Savage said:
What do you mean that some would not approve of what you did? Looks to me like you did what had to be done. Great job!

I just meant that some may disagree on how we decided to drop the tree as it being so close to the house. Sometimes the "safety police" way in although I don't really see it on this forum. I'm all about safety and we planned our method very carefully. The only other option was to pay a professional company to do it and if I decided to go that route, it would be for insurance purposes only. I mentioned to my buddy if I should just pay a professional and he said we can handle it. He has taken out way more trees than I have so I put my trust in him.

midwestcoast said:
Looks like you guys hooked it left about 4 inches, lol. Heck of a job there. One section of fence to drop through, that took some Stones!

Your right, it took some stones. We thought at a minimum the branches may hit the fence or satellite dish and cause some damage. They were the least of my worries though, easier fix than the house! Amazingly though the branches missed everything. My neighbor also has a "Lull" forklift with a 35 foot reach. We wanted to use that but its down at the moment for a major axle repair. We would have trimmed it first if we had the forklift.

Yes, the safety police seem to be all over the place. You did a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.