dropping hearth to floor level

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjcole50

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2013
Ohio
I have read a few posts about this but ours is different. I see most are just brick and mortar construction which are easily removed. Our current fireplace is a random patterned field stone rock combination. We like the look but just want the stove on floor level which also would expand my selection of possible stove upgrades. What I'm wondering is if I start removing the fieldstone and rock from the raised hearth I do not want to ruin the natural look and also want these rocks to continue to he floor level on the sides of the fireplace opening. For some reason I can't post pictures from my droid. But I have some other posts that show what type of fireplace/hearth we have. Any advice is appreciated. We are also still contemplating an insert upstairs and free standing in the basement. I would personally rather stick with a free standing unit like we have but dropped to floor level. Really digging what I'm reading about bk stoves

I have read a few posts about this but ours is different. I see most are just brick and mortar construction which are easily removed. Our current fireplace is a random patterned field stone rock combination. We like the look but just want the stove on floor level which also would expand my selection of possible stove upgrades. What I'm wondering is if I start removing the fieldstone and rock from the raised hearth I do not want to ruin the natural look and also want these rocks to continue to he floor level on the sides of the fireplace opening. For some reason I can't post pictures from my droid. But I have some other posts that show what type of fireplace/hearth we have. Any advice is appreciated. We are also still contemplating an insert upstairs and free standing in the basement. I would personally rather stick with a free standing unit like we have but dropped to floor level. Really digging what I'm reading about bk stoves
Do you need a rear vent stove? BK's don't rear vent or I'd have one, I went with the Woodstock PH.

Rear vent could help but dropping to floor level and having a flat area is a look we prefer u guess. She is also leaning toward princess insert for our living room. But I am questioning it's performance. The nc30 heats great and is a noticeable difference than the old smoke dragon insert we had. The free standard seems to heat objects much better than the insert did with just heating air. If this sounds stupid let me know. But I'm sure plenty of people heat their whole home with a princess insert. Is the bk able to scoot out farther into the living room or no? Pictures seem like it is not much further our than the fireplace opening

I guess what I am after and don't k kw if this would look good. But I'm thinking dropped hearth and running exposed black single wall up to the roof. I feel having the exposed interior chimney with a fully exposed free sander would heat great! For some reason I can't upload pictures from my phone

Have also thought about doing to a bk princess/king that I did to my nc30.chop the legs and sit it1/2 way back

Status
Not open for further replies.