Drove the new Chevy Cruze diesel yesterday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of waiting for the Cruze diesel to come out back in March when I was looking for something new, but I got a heck of a deal on a 2013 Cruze Eco with 6 speed manual. The diesel version was going to be about $5K more. Plus I wanted a manual.

The image is from a trip back home from Gaylord, MI the other day. 51.5 MPG average over 158 miles. It's EPA rated at 42 mpg highway.

Sorry for deviating from the diesel topic, but the Cruze gas engines are definitely capable of 50 MPG if you drive conservatively.

View attachment 105017

Picture didn't work for me but you make a great point. With cheaper engine, cheaper fuel, quieter engine, manual trans availability, and nearly the same mpg I think it wise to consider the gas along with the diesel.

In researching the various consumer outlets for the diesel cruze none of them mention a high noise level. They all gripe about no manual trans option and no wagon option.

I fixed the picture. Not sure what happened there but I did something wrong.

I like the HP and torque numbers for the diesel. The 1.4L gas engine could use a bit more grunt to it, but it is what it is - an economy car, so I don't expect to be passing cars while going up hills with the AC blowing on max. I hope for GM's sake that the small diesel works out well for them. I'm sure I'm not the only person in the US that immediately thinks of the 5.7 liter diesel when they hear "GM" and "diesel" in the same sentence. A lot has changed in 30 years though.

Picture didn't work for me but you make a great point. With cheaper engine, cheaper fuel, quieter engine, manual trans availability, and nearly the same mpg I think it wise to consider the gas along with the diesel.

In researching the various consumer outlets for the diesel cruze none of them mention a high noise level. They all gripe about no manual trans option and no wagon option.

Car reviews often tend to be on the bland side. I like truth about cars.com for more objective reports. In all of the reviews I have read they only mention that the diesel Cruze has extra sound insulation. It works, going downhill the car is super quiet. But open the windows for normal driving and there is no mistaking that this is a diesel. There is a good looking wagon variant sold in Europe. That would be a smart move if they sold it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.