Drulet ht1200 supposed to have this little hole ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 16, 2015
bc canada
hi. got my new stove set up, it has a small hole right threw the metal under the door, it's a small clean hole about half way in the middle. It's strange that there is a clear tiny hole that is viable like this, so am wondering if maybe a previous own drilled it or if it should be there ?

you should be able to see the pic i uploaded, having trouble here is slink to the pick if it doesn't show https://www.hearth.com/talk/members/learningburning.47025/

hi. got my new stove set up, it has a small hole right threw the metal under the door, it's a small clean hole about half way in the middle. It's strange that there is a clear tiny hole that is viable like this, so am wondering if maybe a previous own drilled it or if it should be there ?

you should be able to see the pic i uploaded, having trouble here is slink to the pick if it doesn't show https://www.hearth.com/talk/members/learningburning.47025/
I don't think so. I believe your assessment that a previous owner drilled a hole is correct.

That said, I'm not familiar with the Drulet line of stoves. Maybe that's how they got around Drolet's intellectual property issues. Sort of like McDowell's in Coming to America.

I don't believe there is supposed to be a hole there. I can't really see in the pic. i do see what looks to be a sizeable crack on the bottom.

I skimmed the manual and saw no reference to it.

I don't believe there is supposed to be a hole there. I can't really see in the pic. i do see what looks to be a sizeable crack on the bottom.

I skimmed the manual and saw no reference to it.
You might check the manual one more time. On page 99, it specifically says to stop burning the stove when hot gaping maws are observed between the front and bottom steel plates. This is right after the paragraph warning not to drill holes in the stove.

Reactions: Squisher
I thought that was page 97. ==c

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
hello. maybe the picture is kind of confusing. There is no big crack between the stove front and back, there is no crack at all visible in the picture although there is some stain that looks like one lol.

That being said upon further inspection i found a thin crack on the front of the stove where the door hinges (horizontal) .It's hairline, How big of a deal is that ? it is just a shop stove and it works awesome but sadly i didn't notice this when buying it for $200 hard earned bucks.. damn can't win with these stoves and pipes and even my firewood lol !

I have attached a better picture of the hole, it's weird as it's so neat and tidy and very centred i find it strange someone did such a good job of alternation on this stove.

Also i found this video on the ht1200 on youtube and it seems to show this hole at 15 seconds into the clip but can't be sure.

Attachments

• Drulet ht1200 supposed to have this little hole ?
    20171109_100634.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 114
    20171109_100703.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
maybe the horizontal hairline crack on the hinge side of the body is more visible it's just about where the bottom of the opening is.. what a bummer just got this thing and it is working good. Must be better than the beast i ripped out that had sheet metal sides with holes all over it but still, wonder if this crack is going to get worse quick to make this stove unusable.

Attachments

20171109_102818.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 141
I wouldn't sweat the hole any. I'll be certain remember to have a look down on the front then next drolet I Service. Hopefully someone who has one will chime in for you.

As to the crack you can try drill it where it's spreading to at the end to relieve the stress a bit. But you mentioned it's in a shop? If you have the ability you could grind it out and weld it. At the least mark it in some way and check if it spreads.

A good idea in a shop is to have the firebox atleast 18"s off the floor. It's code here in Canada and also the stove should be protected from impact in someway.

$200 seems a good deal regardless.

hi squisher. Ya i did stick a drill bit end in there to fill the hole and didn't notice a difference in burning. Kind of frustrating about the crack but yes i will try to mark it and keep an eye and if i get a chance drill a couple little holes (how big should they be?). I didn't know you could weld the cast iron, i don't have a welder but do have a grider so will consider that if i can borrow one at one point. Yes i know the thing about getting the stove firebox off floor 18" i will measure got to watch those gas fumes !

hi squisher. Ya i did stick a drill bit end in there to fill the hole and didn't notice a difference in burning. Kind of frustrating about the crack but yes i will try to mark it and keep an eye and if i get a chance drill a couple little holes (how big should they be?). I didn't know you could weld the cast iron, i don't have a welder but do have a grider so will consider that if i can borrow one at one point. Yes i know the thing about getting the stove firebox off floor 18" i will measure got to watch those gas fumes !
The only part of that stove that's cast iron is the door. The rest is steel. Real easy to weld.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing, but that just looks like a seam to me...no? In your original pic there appears to be the same seam on the right side, and in the center too

It would be odd to have a seam in the middle? He mentioned that it was staining. Certainly those must be seams on the left and the right. But the photos make it hard to make out to much of what's staining, seams, or a crack. For me atleast.

I thought in that last pic it was maybe a hairline crack running horizontally that he was referring to. Not the vertical seam.