Drunk woodstove tending

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulgp602

Jan 7, 2006
Do you guys or gals ever get drunk and overfire your stove or screw something up? Is woodburning like driving an automobile - better done sober than drunk? C'mon fess up! :)

If I felt like I had to stay sober to run my woodstove, well there would be a-lot of chilly nights at the old house. I guess I never get so chitty that i cannot operate, remember to operate, or safely balance around the stove. I do know a guy who was reaaly drunk, went down stairs around 3 am to reload the stove, and fell onto the stove hands first on the hot plate on the stove. Lower reaction times and poor balance due to alcohol gave him 2nd degree burns on both palms and 3 weeks out of work. He was an idiot so he kind of had it coming anyway, but unfortunate all the same.

Man, that's gotta hurt the hands.lol I don't use the stove if I feel I won't be able to stay aware of it's status and tend to it. Too risky. IMHO.

Well let me see:

Sober auto accidents = 8, drunk auto accidents = 0

(settle down - it was 7x getting rear ended and 1 cell phone junkie swerving into my lane and hitting me head on)

Sober fireworks accidents = 2, drunk fireworks accidents = 0

Sober around home accidents = several, drunk around home accidents = 0

I'd say I'm actually better off tending the fire drunk!

Corey

I hear that the PE Summit has a breathalyzer feature and it won't let you open the doors or operate the primary air if you blow over .08. I think it is called Ethyl Breath Technology or EBT for short.

I have a buddy that likes to tip a few that told us a good story at work last winter. He had a good glow going and went into the basement to stoke up the stove. He aslo had his work uniform in his hands to throw in the dryer. You guessed it. Clothes went into the woodstove. This guy does tie on some good ones so everyone tended to believe him.

BrotherBart said:
I hear that the PE Summit has a breathalyzer feature and it won't let you open the doors or operate the primary air if you blow over .08. I think it is called Ethyl Breath Technology or EBT for short.
Nah. Thats a Quad propaganda campaign. The actuall unit holds an emergency flask and snifter and pours you a toddy when you run dry.

BrotherBart said:

Heh, heh. BB, you slay me.... :lol:

But I can tell you from actual experience that sadly, it's not true. While it is true that the Summit burns all winter on 8 sticks of wood, cures world hunger and might even help control many of the unseemly habits of it's owner, operating under the influence is not one of them. Otherwise it would indeed be chilly in here some weekends, particularly if the Carolina Panthers are playing.

I am going to take another look at my owner's manual for that flask and snifter option though. Did I forget to order it??? :gulp:

Willhound said:
I am going to take another look at my owner's manual for that flask and snifter option though. Did I forget to order it??? :gulp:
The early models diddn't have it but it was added a few years back to help shore up the world peace feature.

after enjoying several glasses of wine last winter i went to feed the stove and rather than sitting down like normal i stood and bent over the open door and misjudged how far i was from the door. i got a nice burn with the pattern of my stove door. it didn't hurt much at the time as the wine was a nice pre-pain killer. it healed up nice but now i have a dark scar on the inside of my arm with the pattern of the door! lovely, at least it is decorative.

Willhound said:
BrotherBart said:

Heh, heh. BB, you slay me.... :lol:

But I can tell you from actual experience that sadly, it's not true. While it is true that the Summit burns all winter on 8 sticks of wood, cures world hunger and might even help control many of the unseemly habits of it's owner, operating under the influence is not one of them. Otherwise it would indeed be chilly in here some weekends, particularly if the Carolina Panthers are playing.

Hahahah .........That option dont come out until 2008 .
BB ..........Your killing me ......... "Ethyl Breath Technology or EBT "

Gimme about 3-4 hours from now, I'll let you know how it goes. Always wanted to try dog food in the Castile, as Rod Stewart say, maybe tonight's the night. Wish me luck, don't look now Elk! Humm, now that I'm thinkng about it and going thru the cupboards for dinner, there's a whole bunch of stuff that may need to get tried. Wow, never knew I had this much reserve! Dog food, cat food, gerbil bedding, cereal, lentils, beans, the list goes on and on. Could be a long night, might have to go get some more beer. Cheers all, have a good weekend. Be safe and don't try this at home, I'm a experinced professional stunt pellet stove guy with a good insurance guy to boot.

paulgp602 said:
better done sober than drunk?
They say I can't cut the wood drunk, I can't drive the pickup to haul it home drunk, if I can't burn it drunk, what else is there? :)

You guys kill me! Not because this topic is so seemingly bizarre, but because I've thought the same thing a couple of times! After I've had a few beer I one night I went to put some wood on the fire and I realized that I had better take care or I would burn myself, or worse the wood floor! I definitely wouldn't want to play with the stove completely smashed, but with a few it makes the task a bit more interesting.

Man, I have a jag going if there is fire in the stove. Except maybe morning.

Hell, I have a jag going when I'm splitting wood in July.

Is this a serious question? I never screw anything up. Maybe.

Where are the damn olives anyway?

I've heard of wood alcohol...

DW...WB Drunk While Wood Burning...sounds like a college thing...

Well, I guess it doesn't happen so there's a new one on me.

You mean you can operate one of these sober during the weekend?????? Who knew????

I cut wood sober one time years ago and chainsawed my leg. Lit the stove sober last week to test the improvements made this summer and darn near burned the house down.

No way am I ever doing this stuff without beer ever again. It's a safety issue.

One of the perks of heating with (free) wood is that there's more cash for booze!!! If i had to stay sober all winter I'd probably take out a second mortgage for a new furnace and fuel!

Seriously---I find we quickly develop a ''sub-concious'' attentiveness around the stove and 'straighten out' accordingly, albeit temporarily.

----3rd glass of white zin and feeling quite warm and fuzzy----CHEERS!

Tending stove while totally Sh*t-faced = Darwin award. DDT.

This thread could use a picture of a passed out guy laying on the floor near the open door of his woodstove surrounded by flames.

Anybody got one?

BG----I totally agree and hope I didn't give the impression we're ''sh!!faced'' tending the stove :red: but one would hope that you can heat with wood and still lead a ''normal'' life?

Had a guy near here who 'got tanked' and figured a butane torch would unfreeze his water pipes a couple of years ago----

"Lot with structure for Sale----As Is"

Definitely not condoning unsafe behavior.

Peace.

Hey, I have a couple glass of wine every night. No saint here. But there's a big difference in being a little mellow and being drunk. When drunk I recommend staying away from the driver's seat, fire, water and sharp objects.

3 scotches, a night with Dave Chapell on dvd and the stove temp is 500 and the house is warm. No mistakes tonight.

ash can material personally I am aware of all my actions towards booze. I work in a very dangeruos job, accidents and fingers are costly
As I get older, I may need them to count to ten. Running skill saws chop saws and in general climbing, construction is not the occupation one can do inbriated.
sorry the days of college are long behind me.

Let me tell you about a funny patetic story concerning my former cement finnishers. It seems they and plasteres have a liking for the bottle.
These cemnet finnishers had the cement truck drivers trained. The drivers would spot their truck outside the barroom and give two air horn blast to let them
know the cement is on the way. You never knew what type of finishing job you would, get however these guys were usually good. It seemed if they were on the wagon they had the shakes and a crapy job followed. There was the middle ground they had to have some in the system to function normal and decent.

I'm doing a roof and they arrive, on cue just after the cement truck. One guy rolls out of the truck and goes toa tree puking then dry heaves he them gets exhausted and passes out. I roofing this new home and know this does not bode well. The other guy proceeds with the pouring but it is too much for one guy and it is getting away from him. Finally me and my helper join in to empty the second truck waiting, but things were not going smoothly. We all did the best we could. The finnisher promises to me he will return tomorrow with his gas powered trowel machine and make things right.
11:00 the next day they finally show up. The guy that passed out goes behind the same tree and is useless. This gas power trowell is heavy but 3 of us finally get it into the cellar.

We get the engine fired and I return to the roof. I'm working near the chimney opening and pear down the cellar. What I saw was like a cartoon. The machine is spinning and this guy is airbourn rotating around the power trowel. I call my worker over to take a look, I mean his feet were not touching ground. It was so funny at first never saw anything like it. Then I realized this was dangerous this guy could get killed. The plan was to grab the guy first get him, clear him, then deal with the runnaway power trowell. The trowell opperator was passed out, his helper passed out behind that tree sitting in his own barf. I took his keys put them back in the truck when my day ended they were still passed out
so which is safer to opperate while under a stove or power trowell?

Status
Not open for further replies.