Dry Creek Pellets Thumbs down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flammam

Feeling the Heat
Dec 29, 2007
Western, Ma.
Ran 5 bags of Dry Creek Pellets through my stove over the last week. Cold, ashey and dirty are the words I would use to describe them. Local Agway has them for 269 ton. I'll stick to the Green Supreme I got in the garage.

I bought 7 tons of dry creek for this season. I had them maybe 5 years ago and they were pretty good. This year not so much. Besides being dirty and not burning as hot as I remember they are also extremely long with many in each bag over 2 inches. I experienced bridging a few weeks back and woke up to a cold stove and cold house. I now take the time and effort to break as many of the long pellets as I can. This is the last time I'll ever buy dry creek. They've obviously gone down hill.

i sure did not like them and boy was there some long pellets in the bag. i could hear my auger groan a few times. never burn them again.

Dry Creek is now owned by PA pellets. I was hoping they wouldn't loose quality as the Dry Creek were a decent pellet IMHO. I was hoping PA would take some lessons from Dry Creek and improve the PA brand. PA's were marginal and I really didn't like them. Same report as what you are saying with the latest Dry Creeks, Long pellets and pretty ashy. Seems the oposite has happened. Not what I was expecting! :red:

j-takeman said:
Dry Creek is now owned by PA pellets. I was hoping they wouldn't loose quality as the Dry Creek were a decent pellet IMHO. I was hoping PA would take some lessons from Dry Creek and improve the PA brand. PA's were marginal and I really didn't like them. Same report as what you are saying with the latest Dry Creeks, Long pellets and pretty ashy. Seems the oposite has happened. Not what I was expecting! :red:

What a shame they lowered the quality on the DC.

Dry creek is my shoulder pellet this season. They work well for those warmer months.

Being new to pellet heating I have no experiance yet with any brand except the D/C which I got two tons of when I picked up my stove. I seemed to fill up ash pan alot sooner than the Manufacturer suggested. Instead of a ton it was pretty full after 8 bags. I was running on minimum burn do to warm weather. I will now scrape burn pot more ofton.I will be trying some other pellets when i can.

Status
Not open for further replies.