Dry Firewood purchase question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc_Dad

May 10, 2009
Maine
What do you think of this CL add? This is my 1st year of burning wood and am going to need dry wood this year. I should be set for free wood next year (fall 2010). This town is about 30 minutes from me. I attached pics to this post, as I couldn't get pics in message field.

Thanks.

Only 3 Months Until Wood Burning Season~Buy Dry Firewood!! - $35 (Bangor/Brewer)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-07-28, 4:46PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you worried about being able to afford your firewood this year? Why not buy now?
We offer partial cords, so you can buy a little every week, instead of trying to pay all at once.
Purchasing 1/3 cord a week, starting now, would give you 4 cords by the time you need it.

All wood is 100% dry Ash
Cut to 18", custom cuts (12"-24") available by request Stacked on a pallet prior to pick-up, so you are able to see, and even measure,
to assure you are receiving an accurate amount

1/6 cord: $35.00 Fits in most vehicles (using the trunk & backseat)
1/3 cord: $70.00 Fits most 6' truck beds
2/3 cord: $140.00 Fits in an 8' truck bed with side rails
Full cord: $200.00 Bring a trailer, or will fit in 16' rental truck.

Pictured below are two, 1/3 cord stacks

Call/email Randy ([email protected]) 356-1786

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1293869860

Copyright © 2009 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum

Attachments

• Ash Firewood.jpg
    Ash Firewood.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 471
Looks like great stuff to mix with regular loads. That is slab wood. It does have a lot of bark.

Just a guess here, but based on the location of this post and the fact that it is all ash and that it the wood seems to be slabwood I'm thinking this might be coming from Peavey Manufacturing . . . last year they were selling mill ends and scraps $35 for a trailer-load (of course it wasn't all neat and tidy in stacks.) I like to burn slabs -- good to start fires and good for the shoulder seasons . . . but if this is all slabwood I think you would find that it would burn up rather quickly.

Yeah, FFJake I was thinking the same thing. Jake I'm assuming that the wood from there would be dry?

No doubt the wood is dry as ash doesn't have a lot of moisture to begin with. But it is still slabwood. Some people would even call that kindling. It will give heat but will burn fast. If you buy it, don't stuff the stove full else it may even overheat. Don't expect it to hold an overnight fire.

As for me, for that price I would not consider it. For half that price it might be okay but you should be able to find some better wood for a better price.

The good part of this deal is that the guys seems pretty honest about the volume of wood you are getting (he'll let you measure), and slab wood should be dry. The bad part is it seems expensive and it is all slabs, so it'll burn fast. If I didn't have wood for this winter, I'd check it out to see if it is dry and buy some if it is. Better to have at least some dry wood than to go shopping and perhaps find only unseasoned wood.

I am guessing that you don't have any wood lined up for this year....so I might be inclinded to get some of this to supplement some of the wood that you have that is not too seasoned....maybe some slab wood to get the stove going and add splits of your not to dry wood when things get going.
Not the ideal choice, and you'll need to check the chimney more often....but the man needs some wood :)

I just re-read. Without delivery that is very expensive. I originally thought that it was delivered at that price. I would offer $125 p/u, 200 delivered if your desperate.

Thats alot of bean pods for slab wood. Try and find a reputable firewood vendor and get yourself some regular splits. I bet the price difference will more than make up for it in BTUs.

Spend 20 bucks on a moisture meter and goto the vendor, have them split one open and test it. Buy from the vendor that has the best (seasoned) wood. Just my opinion.

Arc_Dad said:
Yeah, FFJake I was thinking the same thing. Jake I'm assuming that the wood from there would be dry?

Hard telling . . . I'm guessing it would be dry . . . if for nothing else because ash seasons quickly and if this is all slabs it should season up even quicker. The price does seem a bit expensive for slabwood . . . you might try calling Peavey Mfg. and see if they sell slabwood or mill ends . . . you might end up with a better "deal."

I'm not sure if this is the same guy or not . . . but last year there was also some fella in the Brewer area cutting up pallets and selling them in a similar fashion. Again, for what you get the price didn't seem all that great . . . especially when pallets are usually free and like slabwood burn up pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.