Dry Moly Spray vs Spray Graphite on blower impellers to prevent buildup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I use TufOil Lubit-8 on all the motor shafts that Imacman recommended and it works great.

This season I am trying dry moly spray that Stoveguy2esw recommends, on both blower fan blades. The spray graphite I used on the combustion blower last year just about wore off. The spray graphite on the convection blower last year did keep the dust down quite alot. I cleaned off the graphite which contained a small layer of dust embedded in the graphite. The spray moly is a little harder so I expect it may stand up better on the exhaust blower and not embed dust on the convection blower.

We will see. Anyone else try it?

See difference in spraying the two on here.

See dry moly spray on convection blower squirrel cage fan blades below.

Attachments

• ConvectionBlowerDryMoly.jpg
    ConvectionBlowerDryMoly.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 729
This sounds like a great idea. My first thought though was "Can it handle the flue temperatures?" I took a look at a product data sheet, and it says that it can handle 750F in an oxygen atmosphere and 2000F in an inert atmosphere. The stove flue gases should be oxygen depleted, but probably not oxygen free. The thing that I have no feel for is the temperature of the flue gases. Does anybody know how hot the gases are when they reach the blower? More importantly, has anybody else tried this and does it work?
I will apologize right now for being a techno-geek. I am a retired engineer, I just can't help myself.

Reactions: CtPaul
This sounds like a great idea. My first thought though was "Can it handle the flue temperatures?" I took a look at a product data sheet, and it says that it can handle 750F in an oxygen atmosphere and 2000F in an inert atmosphere. The stove flue gases should be oxygen depleted, but probably not oxygen free. The thing that I have no feel for is the temperature of the flue gases. Does anybody know how hot the gases are when they reach the blower? More importantly, has anybody else tried this and does it work?
I will apologize right now for being a techno-geek. I am a retired engineer, I just can't help myself.

Hello Harvey

The flue gasses on a pellet stove are not as hot as a wood stove. Usually around 300 - 400 degrees.

Hello

Here is another exhaust blower, I use it on.
I like to use it to protect the blades. It sure is better than just cleaning the blades!

Click on pic to enlarge.

Attachments

• 1011121510.jpg
    1011121510.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 365
  • 1011121512.jpg
    1011121512.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 327
Hello

Got some results in now! Looking good!

I coated the combustion blower impeller with the dry moly.

After a few burns, I removed the blower and very little buildup!

I only had to use a soft bottle brush (instead of a stainless steel wire brush) to clean off the ash and the dry moly was still there!

See pic with yellow arrows that show small area where I used the bottle brush below!
I am sold!
Click to enlarge

Attachments

• DryMolyResultsSCYA.JPG
    DryMolyResultsSCYA.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 329
Status
Not open for further replies.