Dry mulberry seems to like a lot of air to burn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
I picked up some very dry seasoned mulberry (small rounds with lots of cracks) and am trying to burn them in the Quad. It seems to me that this wood does not appreciate minimal air flow. If I give it lots of air it takes off and burns excellent. I'm just curious because I split and stacked over a cord of rounds (wet) of this stuff and I'm hoping it does well for me down the road.

It does appear like I'm getting good BTU's out of it but with lots of primary air.

I'm burning some big splits of it in the Buck, and it seems to take off pretty good but a bit slower than White Ash or hard Maple. This was dead and off the ground, bark still on. It was split and stacked one summer but I think I could have burned it right away. I can kinda tell by how much it weighs. Once it's going I cut the air on it almost all the way. I'm not there to observe the entire burn usually, but the Mulberry is burned up by the time I get back. It's possible that your rounds aren't super-dry....did you meter 'em on a re-split?

When I was collecting the wood I grabbed some pieces that were obviously seasoned and left them in the stove room a couple of days. They are only about 2-3 " in diameter. I also tried splitting some in half and put them in the old Franklin. They burn excellent with lots of air flow. No sizzling.

I burn a lot of Mulberry. One of my favorites. It's a 3 year seasoning wood. It pops and sparkles when you open the door
With a pretty purple flame. Never a problem burning open or closed. Mine is very seasoned no rounds. I split the smallest Mulberry rounds or don't use them. Great wood though.

Reactions: mtarbert
Small rounds with lots of cracks doesn't make it dry. I have burned a fair amount, and it doesn't burn any different than any other dense, dry wood.

Reactions: Jon1270
Like Jeff just said, "lots of cracks" doesn't mean the wood is dry. The ends actually crack fairly early in the drying process, while the middle is still wet. I wouldn't infer any broad notions about mulberry on this basis.

I'm burning Mulberry right now. It has a ton of water in it when first cut but dries much faster than oak. My stack was dying for about 18 month. Measured 14% inside.

It does take a bit longer to get going, but when it does it puts out a nice heat. Once mine gets up to temperature I can close the air intake all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.